Bird Id.

jdmidwest

Blackbirds getting thicker by the day. I really don't mind the redwing ones. They feed mainly on the ground under the hanging feeders but there has been an influx of rusty and a few mixed in Brewers blackbirds. They are mean and bullies. Worse than blue jays. Run everything else off taking over the feeder I have on the tree with a platform they can land on, not so much the hanging ones. Just a bit ago seen one eating something on the ground. Got the binoculars it was tearing up and eating a yellow finch? We are finding dead birds especially today with the cold last night.  This finch was not here this morning when filling the feeders. It was warm and thawed when I checked it out.  I have a cheap harbor freight driveway alarm on this big feeder. Little songbirds will not set it off but the blackbirds do. It's fun to see what is setting it off at times but now have to turn it off during the day. Back on at night and not shutting the doors on the feeder because marauding coons are not visiting. It went off last evening. Got the spotlight and found a flying squirrel at the sunflower seed buffet. Pretty cool. 

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

21 hours ago, Al Agnew said:

Need a better photo, but it's either a song sparrow or a fox sparrow.  Fox sparrows are a more rusty reddish brown and a little bit bigger than white-throated sparrows.  If that doesn't fit, it's probably a song sparrow.

Closer investigating has determined this to be a Fox Sparrow.

Chief Grey Bear

Living is dangerous to your health

Owner Ozark Fishing Expeditions

Co-Owner, Chief Executive Product Development Team Jerm Werm

Executive Pro Staff Team Agnew

Executive Pro Staff Paul Dallas Productions

Executive Pro Staff Team Heddon, River Division

Chief Primary Consultant Missouri Smallmouth Alliance

Executive Vice President Ronnie Moore Outdoors

On 2/16/2021 at 2:29 PM, BilletHead said:

One summer while in grad school we were working up in the Poconos. We stayed in a 90+yr old house. One night a flying squirrel got in the house. When we have had bats or birds in the house we would throw up a towel that they would fly into and we could take them outside and release them. We tried that with the squirrel. It would climb up to the ceiling on the one side of the room. As we went over to it the squirrel would glide over our heads to the other side of the room. Did this a few times until we placed a blocker at the spot we anticipated it to glide down. Finally got it in the towel and back outside 🙂. Pretty funny scene for sure.

2 hours ago, Johnsfolly said:

One summer while in grad school we were working up in the Poconos. We stayed in a 90+yr old house. One night a flying squirrel got in the house. When we have had bats or birds in the house we would throw up a towel that they would fly into and we could take them outside and release them. We tried that with the squirrel. It would climb up to the ceiling on the one side of the room. As we went over to it the squirrel would glide over our heads to the other side of the room. Did this a few times until we placed a blocker at the spot we anticipated it to glide down. Finally got it in the towel and back outside 🙂. Pretty funny scene for sure.

We had a flying squirrel get into our house when I was in high school.  Seemed like my room was one of his favorite hangouts.  MDC agent finally trapped him in the attic.  Those things will keep you up at night.

All this talk of flying squirrels, and I've never even seen one in real life, only in pictures.  We had albino squirrels running around at the local archery range and we at first thought they were flying squirrels, but they weren't.   Had to shoot one to find out.  😅