2021 Garden Thread

ness

Well looks like rain is going South of us so I think I will water what I planted today give it a good start.

oneshot

Slowly getting everything together. Can't find the stuff I need where I live so I'm just waiting for fed ex. now. 

Probably start some tomato seed within the next couple weeks.  That's gonna be the main thing again this year. 

The ground where I grow needs a break, it's pretty much used up and depleted now. I'm going to use containers this year and got some super soil from the closest nursery delivered yesterday. When the mail order stuff gets here I can get after it.

On 3/12/2021 at 7:57 PM, Fish24/7 said:

Worm castings

Compost

Humus 

Azomite

I always go with Compost, Lime and Manure.

Usually MFA has bulk seed. I bought a pickup load of good soil in town at a place that has mulch, sand and such.

oneshot 

The mood finally struck and its on.  I had covered up 2 beds a few weeks ago.  Bought some seed at the CO OP last weekend.  Came home yesterday with 10 bags of Wally Topsoil and a mission.  Started working on one bed, root wads.  Guess that is why the tomatoes did poorly last summer, tree roots sucking the life out of them.  Moved the bed and put down thicker ground cover.  Wheel barrowed the dirt over from it and planted Alaska peas, spinach, radishes, and lettuce.

Tore into another bed, dug up volunteer strawberries for later use, turned it over and added a stronger ground cover to block the roots that had invaded it. 

Cleaned out one of the strawberry beds and added some fresh dirt. 

Let it rain and settle it all down.

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."

Hunter S. Thompson

I got a little bit of the mood too.  Got some lettuce, beets, spinach and radish planted.  Gonna do the double tub planting for my maters and cukes again this year too.  I just buy tomato plants from wherever happen to find ones I want.  Cukes and squash usually get started from seed though.  Strawberry bed cleaned out and lightly fertilized before the rains and they are liking life right now.  Cleaned out another flower bed I built for my mom at least 25 years ago.  The old wod edging is gonna go away and it will get smaller and have concrete retaining blocks. The trellis that never had anything growing on it except for some morning glories mom liked, is getting a couole if climbing roses and most of the rest of the bed will get dug up and replanted in the new one.  Mostly Iris varieties on one side and a bunch of daffodils I collected a couole years ago for the other half. Since I can do more this year maybe I can work in a little more gardening with the much more iportant fishing plans.