Double XX Boats

Phil Lilley

5 minutes ago, netboy said:

There ain't no gravel or rocks down there.

Maybe you missed it......But this whole conversation got started because someone was considering buying a tunnel hull rig for the White river chain. 

I only poo-pooed it because to me that's a stupid idea.  😂

3 minutes ago, fishinwrench said:

Maybe you missed it......But this whole conversation got started because someone was considering buying a tunnel hull rig for the White river chain. 

I only poo-pooed it because to me that's a stupid idea.  😂

Well bottom line is that a tunnel hull will run shallower than an a non tunnel. 

14 minutes ago, netboy said:

Well bottom line is that a tunnel hull will run shallower than an a non tunnel. 

No it won't.    

And I have a perfect place where we can stack up a wall of concrete blocks and prove it ?         

When ya wanna do it ?    😊💲💰💸

Pay up your insurance premium and let's go have some fun.  😁

3 minutes ago, fishinwrench said:

No it won't.    

And I have a perfect place where we can stack up a wall of concrete blocks and prove it ?         

When ya wanna do it ?    😊💲💰💸

Well than I guess the guys at Supreme boats and Topwater boats here on the White river haven't got your message. What are those strange little tunnels doing on their boats???? 

Topwater.jpg

Supreme.jpg

2 minutes ago, netboy said:

Well than I guess the guys at Supreme boats and Topwater boats here on the White river haven't got your message. What are those strange little tunnels doing on their boats???? 

They are letting the boat set deeper so that the motor sits higher on the transom. It's a give/take scenario.  But at the end of the day you still have a skeg, the full diameter of a prop, and a cavitation plate IN THE WATER.  

You can get the same effect a tunnel has by trimming up a flat bottom boat and causing the bow to raise and the stern to dig in a bit.     The full bottom allows MORE trim angle.

40 minutes ago, Mitch f said:

Wrench is correct on this, period.

Thank you 😅 

I think @netboy believes that I'm just being a jackass, but I'm actually trying hard not to be. 😊 

The appearance of a tunnel Hull naturally makes you think that it is running shallower....but the physics of the whole deal actually shows that it truly isn't.   

If you look at the pic he posted of the prop tunnel hull rig you should notice the amount of negative trim angle.   Do you know WHY that motor needs such a "tucked in attitude" to get out of the hole?    It's because there isn't enough butt in the boat to keep the nose from stabbing the sky when accelerating.   

I'm sorry, but that boat, even though I dig the looks of it, is a plowing demon.    Whereas a standard flat bottom Jon boat is going to skim right on top......with the lower unit of the outboard at the same depth of water.   Would you rather smack a rock with a tucked in (negative trim) angle.....or would you rather more gently kiss off of a rock with the motor slightly trimmed OUTWARD ?   

Would you rather be able to idle easily over shallow obstacles.....or would you prefer to haul @$$ over them, close your eyes, and say a prayer?   

IF a tunnel Hull TRULY operated in shallower water, with no negative effects.....then WHY IN GODS GREEN EARTH would they build river boats any other way?    C'mon now 

Here's a little geometry test you can do, regarding good quality boat/motor setups, and rigging...... 

Tilt your outboard until the leading edge of the skeg is parallel with the hull of the boat.   If the prop and the water intake isn't still fully submerged, then your rigging is flawed.   This is how trim gauges are supposed to be calibrated. (but none ever are 🙄)

IMG_20210315_212040918_BURST003.jpg

Here you can see that I can crawl gently over anything 9" or deeper with the motor positioned in "shallow water drive" .   

I can also lower the motor and accelerate enough to get up on plane.....and shoot over it that way also.     But either way my limit is 9" without fear of clipping the bottom.   My trolling motor requires the same JFYI. 

That’s pretty cool. Yeah, you can’t do that over rocks, but where the bottom will let you hit a little bit without tearing stuff up it opens up all sorts of new areas 🙂 I love being in a shallow running boat when you get in less than a foot of water and feel the hull rise up. Squeezing the water between the bottom and the boat creates tremendous lift.  Speed starts increasing like crazy too! 

Intake is 3/4” above the bottom of the boat. I fear no gravel shoal. Yeah, naturally I don’t go looking to whack boulders, but it’s reassuring to know I can skim over everything else. Also, I’ve ramped beaverdams (favorite duck hole) with all the big tunnel hull boats I’ve had -which I built myself- 90, 150, and 200hp motors. I most likely wouldn’t have made a regular habit of that without having so much motor elevated away from the bottom of the boat.  

I like em on jets and I love em on props. 

A tunnel goes more shallow on step, zero question about it.  I’ve ran passed gobs of guys pushing their boats while I zoomed on by. Had a warden ask how I knew where the channel was once -1/4 mile sandy flat below the mulberry river. There was no channel, just 6”-8” water. We’re gonna just have to agree to disagree and think each other are wrong 😂😂😂

4ACB613A-5CCD-4A79-AF97-94656BA427DF.png