And it is still my favorite lake to fish in Missouri..

GRANDPA TATER

• Members
On 6/15/2021 at 12:26 PM, MrGiggles said:

I don't know of anybody that C&R's walleye, me included. About the only time I turn a keeper loose is if I only catch one or two and don't feel like dealing with them. Of course, my skill level isn't causing a lot of damage, but there's a lot more guys out there fishing for them.

When I am fishing by myself or with wife I very rarely keep a limit of walleye. I keep one or 2 on occasion when the wife wants one to eat.  When I have clients catch and release is not an option.  Although I did have a fella last year that wanted to catch and release.

On 6/15/2021 at 10:15 AM, Smithvillesteve said:

A lot of meat fisherman at Stockton. All species!!

True, but have seen folks turning the better eyes loose, backs in the day that never happened 

MONKEYS? what monkeys?

I’d like to see strict regs on smallmouths, possibly a supplementary stocking of them, yellow perch would be a great add food for preds and another fish for the meat crowd.

seems more LMB these days but less smallies...the 12” reg on spotted bass should help both walleyes and smallies

catfish are under utilized imho, usually catch some dandys while carping...speaking of which those have been running a bit bigger, perhaps the BFers pressure allow some to get a bit larger, but you just don’t see the fish in the 20-30 class like elsewhere...the Osage River has some interesting fish that you would think would show up in Stockton like moon eyes or other herrings...I have friends that guide on dale hollow in many ways it’s like table rock with many of the same problems but no Branson to lure in many more people

with Stocktons lack of shore development hopes it stays a beautiful and less crazy as our other waters  attached is a dale special

BAE2B691-E220-48D3-9738-B005A2DF81A3.jpeg

MONKEYS? what monkeys?

I don’t agree with your smallmouth assessment.  I am catching more of them than ever before.  As for the spot length limit, I don’t think it will make much difference.  I am only catching 1 or 2 of them each trip.  Now carp is another matter.  While I am fishing they swim by my boat all day long in groups as many as 10 only a few feet away.

I just wonder in general what has happened to the size of the smallmouth in Missouri impoundments. 30 years ago it was almost a monthly experience that someone would catch a 6 pound smallmouth at either Table Rock, Bull Shoals or Stockton. It seems now I’ve heard of bigger smallies coming from the Meramec or Gasconade, or other rivers. Not sure why. There was a 6.38 caught last March from the Meramec. 

"Honor is a man's gift to himself" Rob Roy McGregor

32 minutes ago, Mitch f said:

I just wonder in general what has happened to the size of the smallmouth in Missouri impoundments. 30 years ago it was almost a monthly experience that someone would catch a 6 pound smallmouth at either Table Rock, Bull Shoals or Stockton. It seems now I’ve heard of bigger smallies coming from the Meramec or Gasconade, or other rivers. Not sure why. There was a 6.38 caught last March from the Meramec. 

Seems like the size of all bass have gone down. You don’t hear about giants of any kind like we used to. 

Well, I hope I don't stir up anyone but just a list of stuff that may or may not indicate what some of the issues may be.

High water temps.

As many know I keep detailed records of my fishing trips. Some data from these records.

1985 to 2002 - Highest temperature readings during the summer months - 77F

2002 to 2017 - Summer high temperatures steaily increasing from 77F to 79F

2017 - 80F for first time.

2018 to 2020 - Steady rise from 80F to 83F

2021 so far - 83F and this is only mid-June

Lethal Temperture limit for black crappie is 82F and white crappie 85F (these numbers vary by a degree or two depending on the research you read). I also seem to remember that the numbers for Largemouths are similar. Smallmouths and Walleye are a bit more sensative.

Temperature avoidance for crappie peaks around 80F. Crappie will typically begin actively searching for cooler water at 80F and may leave an area all together if necessary.

During 1985 to 2002 we routinely caught 15 to 30 crappie on most summer trips.

2003 to current the number of keeper crappie have steadily decreased with an average of 1 to 2 keeper crappie a trip currently.

Some clarification. All the data is based on fishing from CC to Shaw's bluff during June - August.

That area averages  shallower than main lake areas and therefore would heat faster.

Water quality in general has decreased during the last 15 years with more livestock waste washing in, matts of floating algae as well as filamentous algae (even in the main lake) however the increase in rainfall the last few years has helped offset any low oxygen levels by organic material.

There have been several research articles by various agencies on the link beetween increased temperatures and decreased size of things like fox, rabbits, squirrels and other mammals.

I am sure that as water temperatures rise above 80F fish will probably feed less and grow slower.

Interested in everyones feed back. 

3 hours ago, straw hat said:

Well, I hope I don't stir up anyone but just a list of stuff that may or may not indicate what some of the issues may be.

High water temps.

As many know I keep detailed records of my fishing trips. Some data from these records.

1985 to 2002 - Highest temperature readings during the summer months - 77F

2002 to 2017 - Summer high temperatures steaily increasing from 77F to 79F

2017 - 80F for first time.

2018 to 2020 - Steady rise from 80F to 83F

2021 so far - 83F and this is only mid-June

Lethal Temperture limit for black crappie is 82F and white crappie 85F (these numbers vary by a degree or two depending on the research you read). I also seem to remember that the numbers for Largemouths are similar. Smallmouths and Walleye are a bit more sensative.

Temperature avoidance for crappie peaks around 80F. Crappie will typically begin actively searching for cooler water at 80F and may leave an area all together if necessary.

During 1985 to 2002 we routinely caught 15 to 30 crappie on most summer trips.

2003 to current the number of keeper crappie have steadily decreased with an average of 1 to 2 keeper crappie a trip currently.

Some clarification. All the data is based on fishing from CC to Shaw's bluff during June - August.

That area averages  shallower than main lake areas and therefore would heat faster.

Water quality in general has decreased during the last 15 years with more livestock waste washing in, matts of floating algae as well as filamentous algae (even in the main lake) however the increase in rainfall the last few years has helped offset any low oxygen levels by organic material.

There have been several research articles by various agencies on the link beetween increased temperatures and decreased size of things like fox, rabbits, squirrels and other mammals.

I am sure that as water temperatures rise above 80F fish will probably feed less and grow slower.

Interested in everyones feed back. 

The data don't lie, does it!  Thank you for sharing with us your records.   Certainly an interesting 35+ year record.  I guess there might be something to that whole notion of climate change.

13 hours ago, Mitch f said:

I regularly caught 3-4 smallies on Stockton mostly point 6 to the dam area

MONKEYS? what monkeys?