Best Smallmouth stream in Missouri?

MObassin95

15 minutes ago, jdmidwest said:

Did you freeze her or pickle?Ā  Rat is what I was thinking.

Just keeping you guys on your toesšŸ˜‚.Ā 
new development at home. Ā Looks like ole Vern has a family. Ā Iā€™ll deal with them when I get home. Ā Videos included of course. Ā 

7 hours ago, Terrierman said:

Ā 

If you two guys want to fight, take it someplace else.

Sorry, but there was no reason to try to convince anybody that the Amish are raping all the smallmouth in the Niangua.Ā  Ā I spend plenty of time there.....and it simply isn't true.Ā  Ā 

It isn't like Crane creek where it might benefit the resource to keep the rattlesnake/cottonmouth conspiracy going strong.Ā  Ā The Niangua NEEDS a few more friends.Ā Ā 

Ronnie has made it perfectly clear for the last several months, that he disagrees with everything I say, regardless of what it's about......so why he'd want to quote one of my posts regarding a river he know less about than I doĀ was a mystery.Ā Ā 

I was just defending my home river.Ā  Ā 

Is that not allowed here now either?Ā  Ā Ā 

9 hours ago, Mitch f said:

I would be very reluctant to give out any stream or creek information on this forum.Ā 

The ones that would hurt it (lawless giggers and uncaring landowners) are already there. It isn't the Amish that are doing damage or causing problems.Ā  What's needed on SOME STREAMS is decent caring fishermen that aren't afraid to stand up and help keep an eye on things.Ā  Ā  Ā Ā 

There might be a few bad apples on here, but they can't be any worse than the ones already on the river in question.Ā Ā 

What constitutes "best"?Ā  Numbers of fish?Ā  Big fish?Ā  Average size of fish?Ā  I have caught more than 50 smallmouth a day in 15 different float streams in MO, and several wading size streams.Ā  I have caught 19 inch plus smallmouth in 12 float streams and again several wading streams.Ā  My point is that there are plenty of "good" streams or stream sections, with really none standing out from the rest; the ones you catch the most and biggest fish from are the ones you know well and fish often.Ā  It would be far easier to name the WORST fishing stretches.Ā  (Worst float stream fishing stretch in my opinion--Current River from Akers to Pulltite.)

28 minutes ago, Al Agnew said:

What constitutes "best"?

Potential.Ā Ā 

Every river has good years and not-so-good years.Ā  But there are some noticable things that can let you know if the water you covered was a "quality stretch" or not.Ā Ā 

If you hit a stretch of river and didn't catch much......but you find yourself anxious to hit it again after the next high water event..... then you probably are capable of recognizing a truly good piece of water.Ā  Ā Keep hitting it, and eventually you'll unlock its secrets.Ā  Ā 

The "BEST" river, or stretch of river, isn't going to be one where getting bit by multiple 18-20" smallmouth easily, on the same day, can be expected.Ā  Those places don't exist here.

That's my take on it anyway.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Al, just for conversation sake......What does Akers to Pulltite lack?Ā  Ā  Ā What could make it "the best"?Ā  Ā 

Akers to Pulltite. Have spent allot of time there.Ā Itā€™s top notch scenery but the fishing is poor. Trout donā€™t seem to like it, and neither do the smallmouth. The Niangua could be a top notch river but it suffers badly from human overuse and agriculture. It hasnā€™t been raped and torturedĀ as badly as the Courtois, Huzzah, and Meramec between Hwy 19 and the Caverns, but itā€™s not far off the mark. Think that 90% of the people problem would go away if we got rid of raft rentals. The AG use and developmentĀ problems are much bigger.Ā