Squirrels cutting limbs

Dutch

7 hours ago, BilletHead said:

Correct! Always see squirrel on asphalt roads working on their teeth. 

They are licking the salts off the road.  Never thought they were chewing the rocks.

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."

Hunter S. Thompson

We are light, like no hickory nuts this year here just north of Hillsboro. I suppose the late freeze we had in early May did the nuts in, this year. And yes they have been chewing limbs off more this year for some reason.    

For some reaso these don’t have acorns on them.  I’m thinking the squirrels cut the limbs then when they are on the ground they cut them again and abscond with the part that has acorns on it.

47 minutes ago, Dutch said:

For some reaso these don’t have acorns on them.  I’m thinking the squirrels cut the limbs then when they are on the ground they cut them again and abscond with the part that has acorns on it.

I started having limbs all over my yard a few years back.   But the trees don’t have nuts on them.   But the cuts on the branches are beveled like a machine did it.   Mine match the look of what the tree girdler does.  

2 minutes ago, fishinwrench said:

I have a piss elm tree behind my shop that looks like a helicopter tried to land in it.   I bet it's the same critter.  

What does a piss elm look like?  Other than yellow around base from the urine stain.

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."

Hunter S. Thompson

37 minutes ago, jdmidwest said:

What does a piss elm look like?  Other than yellow around base from the urine stain.

It looks just like any other log.....until you try to use it for firewood.   

Throwing a few pieces of elm onto a perfectly good campfire, is no different than pissing on the fire.  Oozing juice and lots of pungent smoke.   

Therefore...."Piss Elm".     You never noticed that?