1st fly tied

Well, lookie there Daryk. Satisfaction will just get better and better as you start catching fish on those.  They will work just fine.

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

Elk hair caddis was this weeks tie.  I will have to work on this one.  I did not buy or make a hair stacker, so they are not as good as they should be.  One I actually covered the eye of the hook with thread and glue.  Oops.  

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

Money is just ink and paper, worthless until it switches hands, and worthless again until the next transaction. (me)

I am the master of my unspoken words, and the slave to those that should have remained unsaid. (unknown)

7 hours ago, Daryk Campbell Sr said:

Elk hair caddis was this weeks tie.  I will have to work on this one.  I did not buy or make a hair stacker, so they are not as good as they should be.  One I actually covered the eye of the hook with thread and glue.  Oops.  

My experience is, the more tore up a fly gets the better it works sometimes. I believe it was Leonard Wright who wrote about old time European fly fishers who loaned out newly tied flies to be fished by someone else and then brought back to them to use.  

7 hours ago, Daryk Campbell Sr said:

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

OOps will happen but less and less as you go forward. I still oops. Another tip less is more in tying. We as tyers sometimes tend to overdress. 

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

Lefty Kreh

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

BilletHead

9 hours ago, Daryk Campbell Sr said:

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

I used a .45 ACP shell for years as a hair stacker then graduated to a .45 Long Colt.  Both worked better (as I recall) than the "real" hair stacker I eventually bought. It's either that or my tying skills need serious refreshing...which, thinking about it, is the case. 

22 hours ago, Daryk Campbell Sr said:

.  Oops.  

I keep a single edge razor blade and a naked utility knife blade on a magnet at my vise base, when I bollix a tie up, I slice and scrape until the hook is clean and bare then start over. Some mistakes can be fixed with scissors like turning a dry into a nymph, but others require full overhaul.

I have never owned a real hair stacker, having learned to use fingers and palm before I ever saw a stacker. I have improvised spent brass, various tubing, caps from markers and such and I've bought at least a dozen tubes of chapstick/lipbalm with the express intent of making a stacker and never did. Sitting here now looking at a bottle spray eye glass lens cleaner and thinking the top cover of the spray pump would work.  Honestly, I just don't like working with deer hair and the hair wing  flies aren't "all that" in my opinion. Sure it's a skill one should have, but it's not one that I use often.

lipbalm stacker from web blogger-image-1384423506.jpg

Tonight was Clouser Minnow. 

20220224_220758.jpg

20220224_221318.jpg

Money is just ink and paper, worthless until it switches hands, and worthless again until the next transaction. (me)

I am the master of my unspoken words, and the slave to those that should have remained unsaid. (unknown)

Hot dang Daryk! well done.

Pogo

Lefty Kreh

Lefty Kreh

BilletHead

BilletHead

BilletHead