Rub

oneshot 1

1 hour ago, fishinwrench said:

Just charred flesh for you, hu?  

I never understood the phrase "good cut of meat".    What difference does the direction the knife moves, make? 

I've never seen a hunk of meat that tasted better if you cut it a different way.  Especially one with no seasoning whatsoever.

School me on this, will ya.   🤔

It's where the cut comes from. The less used the muscle is the better and tender it is. I want a cut from the tenderloin and I suppose a tuff guy like you Wrench wants to gnaw on the front leg of the beef?

Cuts of Meat | National Beef Association

CLASS OVER

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

3 hours ago, Dutch said:

I’ve never understood the rub thing.  Personally I like the tase of a good piece of meat.  I don’t even like barbecue sauce on meat unless it is a poor cut served in a restaurant and it needs camouflaged.

I fully understand.  On steaks just S&P is plenty along with a good sear and rare middle. We had an anniversary dinner at a place called Gobblers Roost.  The meat (filet) was fabulous, very light on S&P and fabulous char and dead rare in middle as requested.   When it comes to brisket, pork butts r especially Italy chicken and turkey I like some exrta flavor so it gets brined overnight and then surface seasoned.  I did 3 small chickens (cut in half) and 8 leg quarters today for dinner at friends.  Was dang good.

59 minutes ago, BilletHead said:

It's where the cut comes from. The less used the muscle is the better and tender it is. I want a cut from the tenderloin and I suppose a tuff guy like you Wrench wants to gnaw on the front leg of the beef?

CLASS OVER

I won't lie I like gnawing on bones whether T bones or pork steak.  But I also do not like tough meat, last couple butchering have left having to tenderize steaks before putting them on the blackstone.

2 hours ago, fishinwrench said:

Just charred flesh for you, hu?  

I never understood the phrase "good cut of meat".    What difference does the direction the knife moves, make? 

I've never seen a hunk of meat that tasted better if you cut it a different way.  Especially one with no seasoning whatsoever.

School me on this, will ya.   🤔

Nope.  If you don’t understand then I doubt it would take.

5 hours ago, BilletHead said:

CLASS OVER

Nah, you ain't getting off that easy.   If that were the case then all KC Strips, or Ribeye's would be the same. 

Guys get a tough piece of meat.....and want to blame it on the butcher, or on the chef.   I'm convinced it's something else.  

I have no eye for good beef.  A steak that looks delicious to me always has a 50/50 chance of being tough as a wading boot.  For that reason I only eat beef steak if I can order one from a fine restaurant......and that doesn't even work in Georgia or Florida. I don't think you can get a good piece of beef in those states, at any cost.  

14 minutes ago, fishinwrench said:

Nah, you ain't getting off that easy.   If that were the case then all KC Strips, or Ribeye's would be the same. 

Guys get a tough piece of meat.....and want to blame it on the butcher, or on the chef.   I'm convinced it's something else.  

I have no eye for good beef.  A steak that looks delicious to me always has a 50/50 chance of being tough as a wading boot.  For that reason I only eat beef steak if I can order one from a fine restaurant......and that doesn't even work in Georgia or Florida. I don't think you can get a good piece of beef in those states, at any cost.  

There is another thing that needs to be added but the cuts on the beef is the most important. It is the way the beef is raised for market. If you use the cut chart on a bull doing his thing breeding his heard, he is going to be tough period.  So going back to muscle movement making cuts tough is truth. Restricting movement like in a feed lot and lots of food keeping the feed lot cattle lethargic equals more tender meat. Then there is time hanging the beef after slaughter to age again depending on size/weight of the carcass.  

Google is your friend here wrench. If you don't believe what some of us tell you here, look it up. Better yet go talk to a butcher or farmer and maybe they can explain it better to you.

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

11 minutes ago, BilletHead said:

There is another thing that needs to be added but the cuts on the beef is the most important. It is the way the beef is raised for market. If you use the cut chart on a bull doing his thing breeding his heard, he is going to be tough period.  So going back to muscle movement making cuts tough is truth. Restricting movement like in a feed lot and lots of food keeping the feed lot cattle lethargic equals more tender meat. Then there is time hanging the beef after slaughter to age again depending on size/weight of the carcass.  

Google is your friend here wrench. If you don't believe what some of us tell you here, look it up. Better yet go talk to a butcher or farmer and maybe they can explain it better to you.

No I totally believe ya.   I figured it wasn't the way it was butchered or cooked.   

That was the only clarification I was looking for.   That there was no such thing as a "good cut"....... First it's gotta be a "good cow"!  

4 hours ago, fishinwrench said:

So, if you're hunting for food, do you want a big buck, or a fat tender doe ? 

Why's everyone always scouting for scrapes and rubs ? 🤔

I will take a young doe or young buck. over a mature buck or doe every time, for meat. Older ones are for burger and sausage.

On a beef. when we raised our cattle, Grandpa would let our beef Grass feed, then finish off by penning them and finishing for 60 to 90 days with sweet oats, corn and alfalfa hay. You want to talk about some excellent meat.