Chasing shad in the James

pstone

• Members

Went out yesterday morning and put in at Cape Fair.    Found tons of shad, mostly near the surface and bass were under them and feeding.     I followed the shad balls on my livescope and threw a 2.8 swimbait and caught 8 or 9.   2 or 3 keepers, 1 largemouth and the rest kentuckies.      I was outside a cove near Wooley Creek in 50-60 feet of water for the most part.     Water temp was 66 degrees.     The wind came up pretty stout and I tried spinnerbait and rock crawler on the banks  but had no luck.   I also caught 1 on a pee wee football jig in about 15 feet.     Should start getting good here soon as the water temps go down some more.     I did try topwater (walking bait) a little bit but no bites.      Good luck everyone!

51 minutes ago, pstone said:

Went out yesterday morning and put in at Cape Fair.    Found tons of shad, mostly near the surface and bass were under them and feeding.     I followed the shad balls on my livescope and threw a 2.8 swimbait and caught 8 or 9.   2 or 3 keepers, 1 largemouth and the rest kentuckies.      I was outside a cove near Wooley Creek in 50-60 feet of water for the most part.     Water temp was 66 degrees.     The wind came up pretty stout and I tried spinnerbait and rock crawler on the banks  but had no luck.   I also caught 1 on a pee wee football jig in about 15 feet.     Should start getting good here soon as the water temps go down some more.     I did try topwater (walking bait) a little bit but no bites.      Good luck everyone!

Water temp?  Thx for the report!

13 hours ago, Champ188 said:

They oughta be getting on that buzzer for ya soon. :)

I was having good luck with it about 4 weeks ago - then the last few weeks have been tuff.
You are right - should be soon !!  looking forward to it for sure!!