Featured
Bill Babler
Bill Babler

Turner Jones micro jigs

First question, first.  Yes he made several jigs and prototypes.  He made Bill Beck and I some float and fly jigs also and they were unreal for early season Bass.  Merlin Olsen was a fly fisherman and was fishing the Green River, either early 80's or late 70's.  His guide used the "New fly/jig and of course they ripped them."  Merlin immediately wrote Mr. Jones and asked if he was in need or would like a spokes person for his Micro's.  Merlin said he would be that person free of any obligation other than Mr. Jones giving him all the Micro Jigs he needed to keep catching trout.  Deal was done and a match was made.

Prior to and after Turner's passing his Grand Daughter who lives pretty much off the grid made them for Phil and a few other of their better clients.  She  ran out of materials and there was some problem with stolen molds and other equipment from Turner's estate.  Kind of a tangled web, to say the very least.

At one time Turner took a partner, a young woman who he thought was going to help him.  She immediately stole lots of written information and molds and sold them to Lucky Strike and that's how they started making the product.  Thru much legal battling Mr. Jones got this stopped as he related to me. The jigs Lucky Strike made were similar but trash, there is a bonding process that adheres the  miniscule single strand of Hen Hackle under a colored collar of shrink wrap that holds this together.  There is no tie thread or no marabou as Turner said it makes the jig way to heavy and not realistic.  Both thread and marabou add bulk and this fly is extremely streamline and zero bulk.

After he molded and painted the head and added the eyes he then added the shrink wrap and hackle body and then clear coated the head and the attaching wrap.  Multiple steps that he said had to be exercised correctly to make the fly as life like as possible.  He said it is either a newly hatched sculpin or a small minnow imitation.  He also made Sculpin jigs that the head was an identical match for a very small sculpin.

IMG_1726.jpg

We ended up this morning with 62 fish for 3 clients on this jig.  The fish here are extremely fat and healthy with lots of fish in the 13 to 17 inch range.

IMG_1720.jpg

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I'm sure some one can copy it successfully, I'm not sure it'd be worth it and I'm not looking for that kind of work.  I hate to paint and I hate doing eyes.  (I'm thinking $12-$29/per copy to even git interested)

Gavin is probably on the right track with the collar. Thing is that almost every thing in fly tying has to be  invented and manufactured for some other purpose (with a bigger market) and adapted to the hook by some tyer experimenting. 

Yeah, I was wrong. looks like a ton of work to replicate. His jig molds,  & remaining inventories might be available if you could locate & purchase. Would tell you allot if that's all he tied.

Gavin, start the tube over the feather, then over the hook, pull the feather until the stem is under or through the tubing and the fibers are distributed evenly, shrink the tube trim stem and base of feather off  & clear coat. bingobango.  ;)

Gavin is a great tier, I've seen what he can do.  Between him and tjm, I'm sure they could eventually figure it out.   Gavin - I will give you one the next time we fish for you to de-construct.  As Bill B said, this is extremely durable little jig, like I've never seen.  I can't remember ever denting the head, scratching the paint even slightly, or it losing feathers . . . even after catching dozens of fish.  The ones I have are in perfect shape, other than the dye in the feathers losing color.  The hook is strong.  Lost jigs only to the worst of snags, it takes a lot to straighten that tiny little hook.  Its the perfect sink rate, size, attention to detail, etc.  Very well constructed --- by a PRO.

What is Phil willing to sell his remaining white jigs stock to yours truly, Paul Dallas for? 

Anyway, hats off and cheers to TURNERS - the original inventors, and to Merlin Olsen's endorsement, for many fine days of success at Roaring River, and Taney with this one of a kind jig.  

I never regretted not having another root beer, only regrets are not having another one of those jigs in my pocket.