Thoughts About Crappie Spawn

KansasBoy13

• Members

Its a stretch but would it almost be better for the spawn since crappie spawn in such shallow water and its getting to that time of year that the lake almost needs to stay up so they can just get through their spawn? We all seem to be worried about them obviously and I dunno about everyone else but I didnt have the best spring crappie fishing last year. I personally dont have a huge problem with this happening and if we have to take a year off, not that we would have, from crappie fishing and have huge years in the near future, and just go hammer some of those huge LM's! Just my thoughts and if I'm way of on my thoughts let me know lol....

I agree - and even if we miss fishing the spawn the crappie fishing may be good later. One of the best crappie fishing years I've had on Tablerock and Bull Shoals was after the spawn in May and June 2002 when the water was still high after a spring like this.

Crappie spawn in real shallow water when the water is muddy like now. If the little ones can get hatched out and hide in the land weeds and brush, a lot more of them will survive and crappie fishing should be great in 3-4 years.

Tha danger is that if they drop the lakes even 3 or 4 feet by the end of April, a lot of crappie nests will be destroyed.