Norfork fishing report 4/8/06

Greg

My wife and I finally made the trip to Arkansas to fish the white and norfork. We fished the Norfork on Sat around Quarry Park. On Sunday we fished Rim Shoals.

We had an exceptional afternoon fishing the Norfork on Sat. It started out slow but got better as the afternoon wore on. We're from Missouri and it was just awesome to catch all 4 species of trout in one area. I got the "AR slam" on my first try. But it was kind of a weak slam. My 2 brookies and 2 browns were really small (9 or 10"). But I caught a nice cutthroat (16") and several nice 15 to 16" rainbows. My wife caught the fish of the day a 18" rainbow (I've attached a picture of her and the fish). She also caught a nice 14" brook. We caught them on a variety of flies: zebra midges, scuds, and wooley buggers. The only negative was we both caught a lot of small 9/10" cutthroats. I'm curious if AR stocks the cuts smaller or if they grow slower than the rainbows? Almost all of the rainbows we caught were larger. But they were all fun to catch.

We can't wait to come back.

Greg

"My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it" - Koos Brandt

Greg Mitchell

Greg: A group of us were at Norfork from April 5-9 and caught so many fish. Couple of Cuts 17" plus some nice Browns that were right at 16" with great color.As you said the Rainbows were good and strong. They stocked 8,000 cuts two weeks ago, NEEDLESS to say a whole lot of small cuts were really after anything that hit the water. They were small, don't know if that is the standard stocking size. It was a great 4 days with no generation that interfered with the fishing.

"God gave fishermen expectancy, so they would never tire of throwing out a line"

Thanks for the info. The recent stocking explains it.

Greg

"My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it" - Koos Brandt

Greg Mitchell