• Members

A few months back my son and I stopped by the lower for a few hours and had a great time. We went just below the Dam and caugt a few fish. It was really crowded and I'm not much for fishing in crouds. This morning my son and I went back down and explored some of the other access points and found areas we could fish and see only a few others. We started off at Marvel just to check out the campground area. We fished on the south end of the campground and caught a few 11"~13" trout. Nice area to bring back the wife and daughter and stay the weekend but I bet it could get crowded on the river there. After a lunch at B & J we went to the end of E0990RD and didn't have much luck. No trout but snagged a buffalo. Most of the guys I talked to said it slowed down around 1:00. One of the guys leaving told me about the gravel pit road so we went to give it a try. Pulled up around 2:45 and walked upstream about 100 ft. Fist presentation of a large stonefly wasn't in the water 1/2 second until a 17" er took it for a ride. Within 5 minutes I'd brought several more about the same size to hand. Moved on up stream and stood in the shade for a bit and tied on a new fly. Got back in the water and noticed it was rising quickly.....game over. All in all it was a good trip and now I feel like I kind of know my way around a little. I definatly be going back soon.

I wanted to say thanks for you guys sharing some of the info on here...it came in handy today.

I fished the gravel pit access last weekend for the first time and really liked it as well. It took me a while to get into fish there, but I did end up catching about 10 or so in a couple of hours, including one that went 18 or 19 inches. I like the riffle water there.

If you know how to fish pockets and short riffles that place can really hold a few fish. Of course, not too many people truly know how to fish it and just walk on past it. Therefore the trout will stay there because there isn't alot of pressure. I know that when fishing small (16-18) nymphs I've gotten as many as 15 out of the riffles there. That's not including the big pool up at the top of them. That piece can hold a ton of fish!

The problem with indicators in that type of water is that your flies are not in immediate contact. Most of the time while the fish are in that water they see an insect and will clobber it the second they see it. It generally takes a few seconds for the fly to come intact with the indicator, it won't even register on the indicator as they've spit it if it does register.

The point of that overly long post was to tell you to fish a short line and small flies. :lol:

"Its clearly Bree time baby!"

Member: 2009 U.S. Youth Fly-Fishing Team. Competed Czech Republic. 7th Place Team

Member: 2010 U.S. Youth Fly-Fishing Team. Competed Slovakia. 4th Place Team

Member: 2010 U.S. Youth Fly-Fishing Team. Competed The America Cup. 4th Place Team

• Members
I fished the gravel pit access last weekend for the first time and really liked it as well. It took me a while to get into fish there, but I did end up catching about 10 or so in a couple of hours, including one that went 18 or 19 inches. I like the riffle water there.

Zach, can you tell me where is the place you refer to? From the Watts area, is it upstream from the stocking tube? I have become quite comfortable with the strike indicator but would like to learn to fish without one. Some more advise would be appreciated. Thanks John

"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope." John Buchan