MO Senate Action Alert

A week or so ago, I sent a letter to Matt Blunt's office stating my opposition to SB364, asking for his position on SB364, and predicting that if he supports it that decision would cost him a LOT of support among the outdoor recreation, tourism, and conservation community right here in his own backyard.

I got a response by mail today. It BLUNTLY says that he supports SB364 because ag is the backbone of the MO economy...period.

So our Governor is staking out his allegiances quite clearly: ag over tourism, recreation, and public health. End of discussion.

I hope we ALL remember this come election time. I know I will, and I will be reminding others.

SilverMallard

"How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of - and which no other people on Earth enjoy."

Thomas Jefferson

(This disclaimer is to state that any posts of a questionable nature are to be interpreted by the reader at their own peril. The writer of this post in no way supports the claims made in this post, or takes resposibility for their interpretations or uses. It is at the discretion of the reader to wrestle through issues of sarcasm, condescension, snobbery, lunacy, left and or right wing conspiracies, lying, cheating, wisdom, enlightenment, or any form of subterfuge contained herein.)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot more! But ag and tourism-related commerce combine to make up the bulk of it. And in total economic impact, they're neck and neck. Trading one for the other is suicide. A politician needs them both. And Missouri needs them both to be healthy. But more importantly, we ALL lose if we ruin our natural resources. And we ALL lose if we centralize control of things in Jeff City and strip cities and counties of their ability to govern.

SilverMallard

"How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of - and which no other people on Earth enjoy."

Thomas Jefferson

(This disclaimer is to state that any posts of a questionable nature are to be interpreted by the reader at their own peril. The writer of this post in no way supports the claims made in this post, or takes resposibility for their interpretations or uses. It is at the discretion of the reader to wrestle through issues of sarcasm, condescension, snobbery, lunacy, left and or right wing conspiracies, lying, cheating, wisdom, enlightenment, or any form of subterfuge contained herein.)

April 20, 2007 St. Louis Post Dispatch reports:

"Jefferson City:Missouri Senate passed off a political hot potato Thursday.

Instead of taking a stand on a bill that would crack down on restrictive local ordinances targeting livestock operations, senators voted to name a 10-person committee of House and Senate legislators to study the issue later this year.

Debate on the livestock issue this session has drawn hundreds of farmers from across the state, overflowing the Senate hearings. In many cases, the issue has pitted towns against corporate agriculture and neighbors against each other.

Senate Majority Leader Charlie Shields, R-St. Joseph, said those divisons have made it impossible for the Senate to approve significant ledislation in the four weeks of the legislative session that remains."

http://STLtoday.com/links

"God gave fishermen expectancy, so they would never tire of throwing out a line"

Score one point for the good guys! Hooray!

Unfortunately, they'll be back at our throats next session and probably with a companion bill in the house and senate...a much more serious threat.

SilverMallard

Thomas Jefferson