New To Walley Fishing. Need Some Pointers.

Jon

• Members

Hi guys and gals. I'm new to this forum. I've resided in missouri all my life. I've fished just about every lake in Missouri accept a few long hawls.

Anyways, I've been intrigued with Walley fishing and until this summer, I have never actualy concentrated on just walley. I learned one thing, there is definitley a technique to this kind of fishing. I've busted my backside all summer trying to catch some and have had no luck. I've tried Liney rigs, plugs, natural and artaficial lures of all kinds but no luck. I'm looking for some pointers as to help in catching some Walley. I've fished shallow, deep, in the late evening, early morning, cloudy days, sunny days, but have yet to put anything together. What am I doing wrong? Is it the time of year? I know Spring is prime time for Walleys during the spawn. But I'd like to be able to catch a few through out the year.

Jon.

Jon:

You did not tell us what lake or lakes you have tried for walleye. I know a lttle about TRock. Others can clue you in about Stockton and Bull Shoals. Let us hear from you.

rps

• Members

Well I just got my boat running this summer. An with gas prices sky high it kind of held me from getting out of the K.C. area. I mainly fished Longview lake and Smithville lake. Both are suppose to hold good numbers of Walley. Longview is not a big lake but they were catching 5 to 6 pounders a few weeks ago before the recent cold front. Smithville is about the same as longview as far as fish size, but I'm told there is a better population on Smithville Lake. Those are the only two lakes I've fished this summer that harbor Walley. I plan on getting out alittle more this next spring. I'm aiming at Bullshoals in the spring and Stockton. Those used to be two of my favorite lakes. Truman is not bad either and alittle closer. I'm also going to try to get out to Clinton lake in Kansas. It used to be a pretty good Walley lake. I've caught more there than on anyother lake I've fished. Understand though, all of the Walley I've caught was purely by accident. I was fishing for something else. I would like to pinpoint on walley and learn how to fish just for them. In my opinion, they are the best eating fish anywhere. I'm not interested in trophy fish just eating fish. If i could limit out on keepers, I'd be extatic!

Jon.

• Members

Thanks for the tips.

It's a start. I have one jigging spoon but was'nt sure on how to use it. I bought it years ago and it's only hit the water once. What kind of action do you use on this? Kinda like a crappie jig?

Swimmin minnows like Mr. Twister shad? Or are these different from one another?

As far as locating, how do you recognise walley from crappie on a fish locater? Thats some of the problem I had at Longview lake this year. There were reports of Walleys hitting at the mouth of a cove on the main lake. I found two spots just off the points of the cove that had shcools of fish, but all I caught were crappie and the other school did'nt bight. I was using a Lindy rig with minnows that day. I guess you'll know if they're Walleys if you catch one hugh?

Been caught in a few storms on the lakes, mostly on Truman Lake. Me and my dad got caught in a gail about a mile up from Long Shoal. It was very interesting getting back to the dock. 3 ft. wakes and up. I made the mistake of throwing it in reverse after my first attempt at landing the boat only to have at least a 3 1/2 to 4 footer come over the back of the boat. Thank goodness for bilge pumps! I remember water hitting the back of the drivers seat and seeing the top 3/4 of the motor sticking out of the water! Talk about having your heart in your throat! I did get it on the second attempt only to scare the pajeepers out of my dad! I had to align the boat upwind of the trailer and wait until I was blown into line and gun the throttle. He was'nt ready for that. :)

Jon.

• Members

RPS,

I fish Table Rock and would love to have a little more knowledge about some walleye fishing. I've caught a few walleye in the past but never on the rock. Thanks in advance.

Walleye on TRock:

1. Go to and read the lake stockton message board on walleye. Many of those who post there also fish and post about TRock and Bull Shoals. Tip: do not admit to fishing for other species. They look down on green fish.

2. Three methods seem to work, although I am trying to master a fourth. Method One: Target the pre spawn fish by fishing jerk baits and road runners tipped with crappie minnows above Beaver town. Cow patty flats and blue spring are good areas. Both are at big bends in the river. Method two: Nightcrawlers on harnesses dragged over flats, especially those that have a channel edge not too far away. The flat untimbered end of the Devil's Backbone, the flat at the mouth of the Roaring River, the flat at the high wires near Fletchers are examples in the upper end of the lake. Method three: Slowly trolling deep baits on thin braid. This is my most successful method. I use wiggle warts and reef runners (knockoffs from Cabelas) in the June/July/August time frame. Tip: Use a copy of the troller's bible and don't be afraid of timber. Method four: I am beginning to catch a few fish vertically fishing a spoon in trees which sit on the edge of a drop off at or near the thermocline. It's a lot like crappie fishing...you try a bunch of trees to find one with fish, but that one will often hold fish.

Note: I haven't done it, but I've watched it: This last May/June a good fisherman fished four inch hand pour watermelon worms on a light carolina rig at the edge of the flooded treeline on flats. He moved the bait by drifting with it . He used the troll motor only to control the drift direction. He caught numerous walleye and bass, some of which were good keepers. Don't know the guy's name, but he fishes a camo Xpress tiller steer with a Mercury 60HP. If you see him, ask. He was very friendly and informative.

3. Several members of this board are diehard walleye fishermen. From time to time they post. They know more than I do. I don't think they spend the first few hours every time out flailing the water with a spook like I do.

good luck

rps

Hey Jon I from the KC area too and would love to get into the walleye but never have. I hear that Hillsdale lake has a real good population but like I said I never found them. I dont have a boat either thou so I stuck on the bank with sonar or finder or clue. What I might sugest is if you are going to go down south to learn about Walleye go a little bit further to Greers Ferry thats supposed to be a great Walley lake. And when you learn how to catch them let me know. LOL

Brian