25 Pound Brown Caught

It's fishing.... and things happen. And I like catching big fish and this one was certainly a big one... Congrats to the guy who took him. I too wish he had been released unharmed, but again, things happen.

TIGHT LINES, YA'LL

"There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process." - Paul O’Neil

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Way to go RIck!!!! SUper fish!!!

I see a lot of people inflicting their personal beliefs on the fisherman.

1st, He legally caught the fish!

2nd, He then owns the fish!

3rd, His choice on what he does with it! be have it mounted, or fillet it or release it.

I think its non of our business what he does with it. It is not ourplace to bitch about what he does with it.

I see a lot of JEALOUSY poking through, because he caught it on Power bait, and a spinning rod. You have to remember not everyone whats to whip a flyrod all day long and not everyone the ability to do so. He could have physical problems that keep him from using a fly rod.

So quit boo hooing the man and congratulate him, honor his fish instead of bitching about it.

As someone mentioned Browns don't take power bait all that often.

It is his choice of what to do with the fish not yours. Don't allow PETA to rule your life, to set your standards. Many times a big fish fights hard and has a heart attack of sorts. I almost always check the heart and aorta on big fish and many many times the heart/aorta is soft, this is a sign the fish would not have lived. It may be released but still would have died in a few days to a few weeks. There is far more to the physiology of fish than just working it in the water until it can swim away.

• Members

I cant see any pics from leonards post. Im at work and there may be a block on it somehow, does anyone have a suggestion? A comment about the size of fish in Taney. Last summer I was drifting along below koa where it starts to get deeper and large rocks. I looked down in the water and saw the largest fish I have ever seen swimming slowly toward the bottom. It looked evey bit as big as the replica hanging on the wall in Lilleys shop. The tail looked like the paddle of a boat oar. It starteled me to see something that big swimming around.

Dave

I see a lot of people inflicting their personal beliefs on the fisherman.

1st, He legally caught the fish!

2nd, He then owns the fish!

3rd, His choice on what he does with it! be have it mounted, or fillet it or release it.

I think its non of our business what he does with it. It is not ourplace to bitch about what he does with it.

I see a lot of JEALOUSY poking through, because he caught it on Power bait, and a spinning rod. You have to remember not everyone whats to whip a flyrod all day long and not everyone the ability to do so. He could have physical problems that keep him from using a fly rod.

So quit boo hooing the man and congratulate him, honor his fish instead of bitching about it.

There isnt any jealousy from my perspective. I am happy for the guy, as I have been for the other 3 fish over 15 pounds that I have seen caught at Taney.

My interest and stance is on preserving the integrity of the fishery. I dont walk into a park and pick out the prettiest tree, claim it as mine, dig it up, and selfishly take it home. It just doesnt make sense to me. I would and always feel the need to put the greater needs of the fishery and the wildlife above mine.

I believe in a fisherman's right harvesting fish although I do no choose to do it myself, after all that is what the hatchery system in Missouri is based on. If it was not for that system every waterway in Missouri would be picked clean eventually. I do believe that harvesting fish should have limits, whether it be size or creel limits. Fish that reach sizes like this should be considered a community treasure and treated as such, not selfishly hoarded on the wall of your double wide.

And yes.....powerbait is for fat kids and hillbillies although that has little impact on this discussion.

-Jerod

Many times a big fish fights hard and has a heart attack of sorts. I almost always check the heart and aorta on big fish and many many times the heart/aorta is soft, this is a sign the fish would not have lived. It may be released but still would have died in a few days to a few weeks. There is far more to the physiology of fish than just working it in the water until it can swim away.

:rolleyes:

Please explain.

Hey DT

You may not be loged in to the web site. If not, you can read the stories and not view the pictures. Click on the login at the above left.

What a fish. Way to go.

I think that the more that catch and quick photos and release can be promoted here the better it is for our fishery. I look at most of the comments related to the death of this fish in that light. Education about the options of recreations as opposed to kill and mount is important.

Some of us do come off a little self rightous of these matters when a little more understanding and friendly education would serve us all better.

George

"This is not Nam. This is bowling. There are rules."

I'm gonna start tying up some powerbait patterns to throw on the flypole...that's a ginormous fish. Congratulations to the gentleman who caught it.

Those interested in C & R and the philosophy of stewardship and low impaction to our natural resources check out Recycled Fish...recycledfish.org...