First Timer...access Help Requested

• Members

Hey guys, not trying to ask for anyone's secret holes here, but I'm new to OK and would like to get out fishing on the LIR. Can anyone tell me where to access the standard trout spots people talk about on this forum (Watts, gravel pit, kiddie pool, Marval, etc.).

I can see a few roads shooting off of Hwy100 North of Gore (power plant rd, fishing rd, E0990 rd., Marval ln.), but I'm not sure if this is where a guy should go to give this river a shot. Any friendly suggesstions? Is this land along the river public or private? and does MarVal allow any ol' joe blow to park there and fish, or do you pay a fee?

Any access tips are appreciated. Thanks a ton

-Steve

• Members

Steve- I've fished mostly near the gravel parking lot which is the first turnoff to the right heading down the power plant road to the parking lot just below the dam. The Kiddie Pool is just below the rocks north of the island, you'll see it, but several places are also productive north, east, and south of the island, you'll easily see them. When the water is wadeable it quits flowing west of the island. I think Marvel will let you in free if you just register at the shop on your way in. I only did it once and bought something at the shop to make myself feel better. I'm fairly new and trying to find out more about Watts and the gravel pit myself so hopefully you'll get more answers to add to and correct what I've said.

I think Marval is obligated to let fishermen access for free since the state stocks at the site. Having said that, I really never fish there because I don't want to mess with the check in procedure and probably more because I don't know that water as well as at Watts and the gravel lot below the dam.

T&M gravel - my understanding is that T&M closed this access about a year ago after they suffered some vandalism. To reach this water now you have to either wade down from Watts or up from Marval.

Watts is the paved parking lot downstream from the gravel lot that fishfeeder mentioned above. It is at the end of rd 0990. There are good spots both upstream and downstream of the parking lot at Watts.

My experience is that when the fishing is good, there are lots of productive spots at any of these accesses and you just need to keep moving.

• Members

I mainly fish the long hole area above the kiddie pool before it curves to the dam. There is some good fishing below the next rock falls past the island if you will go on down to where it breaks open into the wide deeper water. I have started fishing this area lately and it is pretty good, too. Good luck.

MCHUNTER

Yes T&M Gravel access is closed which is unfortunate. To me it always seemed to be one of the less visited access points, and it was "artificials" only.

I usually go to Watts. It is easier to trek down lower or farther up if you want to get away from the crowds. The powersite, gravel parking lot, is a hot spot as well.

Marval is nice as well, but on the weekends I think it fills up pretty fast.

- Nick

• Members

I've found Watts to be one of the more productive areas on the river when the conditions are right. Believe it or not, when they are only generating on one, that spot is made even better. The pools get a little deeper and the current becomes pristine. The last few times I've made it down, I've focused primarily south of the parking lot, past the "rock" island. I probably pulled out 20-30 fish the last time I was there, with a few lunkers. I'll be down tomorrow and Saturday with a buddy. If anyone makes it down there and sees a 20 something guy in a greenish Columbia shirt, hit me up!

• Members

Thanks for all the advice. I went yesterday and fished above just north of Watts parking lot in the morning. I caught two fish. Probably lack of technique and not that I was in the wrong spot. I saw a ton of trout (and plenty of other types of fish) swimming by.

I must admit I was impressed by how nice this place was. One of the nicest places I've seen in Oklahoma in terms of natural beauty. I'll definitely be back to try this area again.

I've found Watts to be one of the more productive areas on the river when the conditions are right. Believe it or not, when they are only generating on one, that spot is made even better. The pools get a little deeper and the current becomes pristine. The last few times I've made it down, I've focused primarily south of the parking lot, past the "rock" island. I probably pulled out 20-30 fish the last time I was there, with a few lunkers. I'll be down tomorrow and Saturday with a buddy. If anyone makes it down there and sees a 20 something guy in a greenish Columbia shirt, hit me up!

what fly types were you using that were so productive? (if thats a fair question)