Montauk Fishing Report

Jeff Tief

Had a good trip to Montauk yesterday with older brother Bob and younger brother Dave.Didn't start fishing until 1000am and started in the C&R with all using fly rods.Both brothers don't fly fish that much but they did catch 10-15 fish in the 40-45 " we fished there.Next stop was the fly zone where we discussed the wind and the ability to sight fish under those conditions.It was a lot tougher for them but we did catch as many as most of the folks fishing.Both soon wanted to use their ultr-lights so we headed back to the car for a quick bite and they tried the spring branch and caught several each.I suggested the bait zone in the campground area and the catch rates went up for all.Fish were on the small size but there were enough to make it a good day and I missed fired on a nice brown.Saw several old friends and finally got to sit on the bench honoring our son Brett who passed away 3 1/2 years ago.Took 3 years to get the bench and the memorial plaque in place. A special thank you again to Laker 67 and Miss Sandy as they decided they wanted to help place the memorial bench for our son with a sizable donation.

Is that the same memorial that some have left mementos the past few years about halfway between the lower campsite parking lot and the wire? I always wondered what the story behind that was.

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."

Hunter S. Thompson

No, jd, we had asked about placing the bench up near the C&R where Brett fish started his fly fishing career or either in the campground area where the smell of someone cooking bacon would lure him off the stream and to breakfast at the Lodge.Brett's memorial bench sit's along side the slow pools south of the little cemetary as you come in from Hwy.119 into the park.The C&R locale had to be out of the flood plain and the oxygen lines buried in that area posed a problem.Not sure the problem with the campground area but are satisfied with the place they recommended.I know of the memorial you speak of but don't know the story behind it.

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I'd post a new fishing report from Good Friday at Montauk.Wife Susie and I got away Friday morning on a one-day trip to the park.Don't usually start fishing till around 10am so we can sight fish easier.Not too bad a crowd at that time and fished thru the campground catching lots of fish.Fish sizes were better than the last report overall and we both could have kept a nice limit of 14-16" fish but didn't.Susie used scud and egg patterns most of the day and I caught most of my fish on a zebra midge and a small tan emerger.headed back to the car a little after 4pm and noticed the Holiday weekend crowd was starting to fill up the campground.

• 2 weeks later...

Took my wife Susie and an old baseball playing buddy from college to Montauk Friday.Jerry Pike originally came to MAC to play baseball in the fall of 1971.We fished and hunted back then and his only experience trout fishing was at Maramac Springs over 40 years ago.He moved back to this area a couple of years ago and wanted to try fly-fishing.Got set up with a good outfit and made his first trip ever to Montauk.The water was in excellent shape and we fished for 6 hours down thru the campground.He caught probably a dozen fish and had at least that many hooked that got away.Sight fishing with scuds,egg patterns and zebra midges again worked well and as the day progressed he did an excellent job for a person fly fishing for only the 3rd time.He also managed to hook the big fish of the trip-an 18-19" rainbow that threw the hook after several minutes of battle.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like you have had some great trips lately Jeff! Great to see the bench in place, I will have to check it out! Hope to see you down there soon. I was down with family a few weekends ago but got about an hour of fishing in for the weekend....but thats life! :)

Hey 10pointer,got a chance to go to Montauk and fish with Susie and my 2 brothers on Monday and Tuesday.They camped 3 nights and we roughed it at the motel.Fishing has been real good the last 4 trips we've made to Montauk.We fished our usual 5-6 hours and again the usual patterns did well.Older brother thought it was the best trout fishing trip he had been on in years and the size and the fight of the stockers was great.They both jig fish more than fly fish so I spent a good portion of today melting some jigs for the next family outing. So how did that big male coho from up North come out?

Cant wait to get it back! I personally havent seen another one up there that big. Fish/Waterfowl/Deer/Etc. mounts are going to put me in the poor house. Its getting pretty rediculous, I think I need a bigger house!

This year that trip in jeopardy....my baby boy is due in mid-October (on my birthday actually!) I think mama would kill me if he came while I was up there fishing and hanging with the guys. I will still try to slip up there a few times this fall though... baby permitting. I just hope they have water!