Your Opinion Needed For The Best Snagging Rod

• Members

I have been snagging since it was legalized in Iowa back in the early 70s. I had a rod built for me by a great local rod builder, who is no longer with us.

It was an 8 foot rod and unfortunately, I finally broke it after about 30+ years of use. I guess it just got old and decided to break as I didn't know I hit it on anything and didn't put it in the car door. Anyway, it was almost a part of me. I loved the rod. Had good tip action to throw 4 oz. weights half way across the river and good back bone to set the hook and catch a good one now and again. I usually use 40 pound Berkley Big Game line and cast from shore. It was a spinning rod and that is what I grew up using and don't want anything else. It was also a very heavy tubular fiberglass blank that I think he got from somewhere in California. On the west coast anyway. I tried fixing it and did catch 12 or so after I fixed it but the first rock I got snagged on broke it at the repair site. If you were going to buy a new one and wanted one like I have described, what would you buy and where can I buy one? I don't want a thin walled rod. I have a buddy that could afford any rod made and he always gets 20 or 30 dollar rods that just don't hold up, can't convince him to buy a good one and it will last 30 years or more like that one did. I appreciate your help. I know there are some spoonbill guys on here that have an idea what I am after. Thanks so much for reading all of this and helping me out, even if I am from Iowa. :D

I have caught tons of paddlefish on my ten foot Uglystik. I have had it for twenty five years and have replaced the tip once and the reel three times. I have smacked it against the ground and rocks numerous times when I got careless and it hasn't failed me yet.

Kelly

• Members

When you cast out a long ways with 40lb mono, there is a lot of stretch in the line when you snag and hit a fish out int the middle of the river. Therefore I like a stiffer pole when fishing with mono line, that sets the hook better, and when snagging with braid line that has no stretch, I might go with a little more flex in the rod tip.

I also like spinning rods for snagging. I prefer at least a 10 foot rod. It allows a longer cast and also a longer snag stroke. 12 and 14 foot rods are even better, but they are also more work. As I get older and more aches and pains, I pay more attention to these things. Especially the day after. I guess the length really depends on you. How far you want to cast out and how much work you want to do.

You can increase your casting distance by switching to a small diameter braid line, no matter what rod you get. It won't double your casting distance but it will make a big difference. The smaller line also cuts through the water easier, and is less tireing during the snagging, and it's just easier casting too.

I use cheap ($35 - $50) rods with no problems. I did break a tip but it got into the truck door. I don't think an expensive rod will do anything my cheapos don't do? Not much help huh?