March 1st

Well here we go again. For many people tommorow marks not only the opening of the Trout parks but the start of spring. I went to RR this past weekend and just took a look around. The construction is complete. The river is loaded with fish, And everything looks like it is ready to go for another great opening. I spoke to a guy that I know at the hatchery and they are estimating that after last weeks stock getting ready for opening that there are over 8000 fish in the river. They are expecting about 2300 fishermen. The water is clearing up and weather is suppose to be great. I would guess with good weather that there may be a few more than the estimated 2300. If you have never experienced an opening I would suggest that you go to this one. The weather is going to be better than any I remember in the recent past. The lows tonight are to be in the 50's and highs tommorow are suppose to be close to 80. Even if you don't fish it is interesting just to walk around and watch. You can always fish late morning or afternoon after the crowds slim down.

Good luck and good fishing

RRV

Good luck and Good fishing

RRV

RRV is right on for Roaring River tomorrow. I dropped down at lunch time, and every pool is absolutely loaded with fish. It looks like our past opening day for the 2005-06 C&R season where they just emptied the entire hatchery into the river to start the park construction. Most of the fish I saw were stockers, but there are a few horses in there too.

AKA Flysmith - Cassville MO

• Members

i agree in the 18 years that i have been going down to rr for opening dy i believe this is going to be the best one weather wise that is, i believe it was two maybe three not for sure but we all went to bed and woke up two abiut 6 inches of snow that was a good year to fish if you could bear the cold and the snow

Went down and got my tag about 8:30 this evening and I was # 752. I thought that seemed a little lite. There were still plenty of camping sites open, but they have a burn ban on in the park so that takes away from the mood some what. I'm sure that they will trickle in the rest of the night. for those who live 3+ hours away if they got off work at 5 and left at 6 they won't get here till later. The temp on the water at 9pm was 51 degrees. I am still guessing that it will be a wednesday record.

RRV

RRV

Aren't you guys gonna miss the real cold weather opening days of past ?

I know I will.. and I wish for the weather to take a horrific twist for snow / sleet to start dumping at the rate of 1 inch per hour. :D

In my heart - the opening day of trout season should be experienced with gloves and fleece.. not shorts and tank tops for the 1st of March.

I wanna see pictures of this years opener - Its gonna be a madhouse down there. The high is supposed to 81.

best fishes - Brian

Just once I wish a trout would wink at me!

ozarkflyfisher@gmail.com

I'm the guy wearing the same Simms longbilled hat for 10 years now.

well the crowds were there and lots of fish were caught. I was limited with 4 fish on 5 cast in 7 minutes. using a red rooster tail. I took a themometer with me and at 5 am it was 46.8 degrees on the water. when the sun came up it quickly jumped to 60 +. I will down load pictures sometime today for everyone to see. If you missed out this morning there are still a lot of fish left for this afternoon or this weekend.

good luck and good fishing

RRV

RRV

Well I went back to the park this afternoon and there were still a lot of fish in the stream. I watched a couple of guys I knew catch and release probably 25 to 30 in an hour and a half using a thread midge in the fly area. The weather was fantastic. The temp was in the low 80's. I actually wore shorts and got a sunburn. When I left the park tonight at 7 pm there were still 8 people at the cleaning station with their days catch. I also got the pictures uploaded so you can see what it was like first thing this morning.

b086db47.jpg

84c9f68a.jpg

This weekend should be great fishing too.

RRV

RRV

WOW, is all that I can say. The fishing sounds like fun until you see everyone. I will do this some year to say that I have "been there done that". I just can't even imagine!

"He told us about Christ's disciples being fisherman, and we were left to assume...that all great fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fisherman and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman." - Norman Maclean-A River Runs Through It