best waders??

Wader Choice  

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I picked up another pair of simms waders tonight from work as a spare set to go with the old simms guides I have. This brought up my question, which company makes the best waders out, and then also best for the money? Most people ive heard all say simms, but i wonder what your opinions are? I thought about this after the fact of my purchase tonight but i couldnt pass up the deal i got on them. Im still going to wear the guides but i get nervous wearing them down on the current or the trout parks for fear of tearing them up and not getting them back in time for my trip to our other house in estes soon.

Our fly shop has the Simms lightweight stockingfoots on clearance for $149.88 with the regular price at $200 if anyone would happen to be looking for some. Lifetime guarantee yadayadayada, and ive always been happy with my other pair of simms, but could i have made a better choice?

I say Simms all the way. I used to be an LL Bean guy.. back when they had the Kevlar GoreTex waders.. they were great but the feet had issues.

My Simms Classic Guide models have seen some serious usage and been back to the factory for new feet and a routine checkup one time in 6 years. They only charged me $25 for the feet too, instead of Orvis doing a prorated deal on the value of what is left on the waders.

The only sad thing is most products from Simms say Bozeman, MT on the box but each product has a little gold 'Made in China' sticker on it.

(There are other waders I didnt see... Patagonia, Cloudveil (brand new).. uh.. one more I cant think of with the zipper front.)

tight lines - Brian

Just once I wish a trout would wink at me!

ozarkflyfisher@gmail.com

I'm the guy wearing the same Simms longbilled hat for 10 years now.

• Members

Not to steal the thread, but I'm interested in finding a set of good waders for both my wife and myself. We're new to fly fishing and there are so many waders out there, we don't know what to pick. Being the novice that I am, I've been looking at a set of LL Bean's West Branch for myself and we'd looked at a set of Simms at the River Run Outfitters for my wife (she's very petite). We're trying to find a "good" set without breaking the bank since we have so much other stuff to buy. Can I find what I'm looking for for under $200 in stocking feet? That said, my next question is wading shoes. What's the best to go with. Felt, Felt w/studs, LL Bean's Aqua Soles????? How much bigger shoe should we be looking at w/stocking foot waders? I appreciate any advise!

• Members

Well I hate to be this way but I like my waders just fine. The biggest reason is that I bought them for $35 at a Wal-mart closeout sale. No they are not big name, but they keep me dry and warm when trout fishing and duck hunting. They are tough, and they flatter my round figure (okay that is a joke :P .) I can’t yet justify spending that kind of money for waders just yet, maybe someday. Until then my Wal-mart specials will do me right each and every time.

All I can tell you it but breathable waders. Most will do the job. I use to fish in the same waders that I duck hunted in, heavy canvas shoefoot waders that would wear you out. Then I switched to a heavy neoprene wader. Fished and hunted in both. This was a great improvement on mobility. A couple of years ago, I bought a pair of Orvis breathable shoe foot waders. Wow. what an improvement on mobility. I have been using them for both hunting and fishing. You can walk for miles and not feel like you've been wrapped in a tarp all day.

Cabelas has several price points to choose from. A buddy of mine bought their Cabelas inexpensive pair (under $75) and has been very happy w/ them.

" Too many hobbies to work" - "Must work to eat and play"

Not to steal the thread, but I'm interested in finding a set of good waders for both my wife and myself. We're new to fly fishing and there are so many waders out there, we don't know what to pick. Being the novice that I am, I've been looking at a set of LL Bean's West Branch for myself and we'd looked at a set of Simms at the River Run Outfitters for my wife (she's very petite). We're trying to find a "good" set without breaking the bank since we have so much other stuff to buy. Can I find what I'm looking for for under $200 in stocking feet? That said, my next question is wading shoes. What's the best to go with. Felt, Felt w/studs, LL Bean's Aqua Soles????? How much bigger shoe should we be looking at w/stocking foot waders? I appreciate any advise!

i would suggest for you to not to break the bank, to get a pair of simms freestones, or orvis clearwater both retail for around $129 a pair. you dont have to get a bigger boot if you buy stocking foot waders the size of the neoprene is pre determined when they make the boot. i currently have a pair of orvis clearwaters, and they have treated me excellent untill the feet blew out on me so i am in the process of getting them back from orvis. my brother has a pair of simms freestones and he loves them. as long as you take good care of your waders, they will last for a long time. now for the boots, unless you know you are going to be fishing someplace where there is really slick rocks, felt soles should suffice just fine. the only place that i have fished where i felt that my safety was going to be an issue with just plain felts, is on the san juan river below navajo dam. there is so much didymo down there that you can even bust your behind standing on the packed mud. but for the trout parks and fishing Taney or other tailwaters in the white river chain, the felts should do fine. but next, ask yourself if you want comfort or stability i have a pair of Korkers and they are awesome for both comfort and stability. they serve me well here in colorado because of all the hiking i have to do to not tear up my felts. they also have studs, studded felt, aquastealth, boat soles, and lug soles so it turns into a hiking boot. If its comfort you want go with something like orvis' Henry's fork II retail $129-$149, or the clearwater retail $59-$79. If you want stability, go with simms freestone boot. but it comes down to just what works for you.... everybody has a different opinion on brand stuff that they like. but remember, most of the time you get what you pay for.

tight lines

a motrtoubum in colorado

There are two types of people. Those who dream dreams and wish, then there are the do'ers. I am a do'er!

• Members
i would suggest for you to not to break the bank, to get a pair of simms freestones, or orvis clearwater both retail for around $129 a pair. you dont have to get a bigger boot if you buy stocking foot waders the size of the neoprene is pre determined when they make the boot. i currently have a pair of orvis clearwaters, and they have treated me excellent untill the feet blew out on me so i am in the process of getting them back from orvis. my brother has a pair of simms freestones and he loves them. as long as you take good care of your waders, they will last for a long time. now for the boots, unless you know you are going to be fishing someplace where there is really slick rocks, felt soles should suffice just fine. the only place that i have fished where i felt that my safety was going to be an issue with just plain felts, is on the san juan river below navajo dam. there is so much didymo down there that you can even bust your behind standing on the packed mud. but for the trout parks and fishing Taney or other tailwaters in the white river chain, the felts should do fine. but next, ask yourself if you want comfort or stability i have a pair of Korkers and they are awesome for both comfort and stability. they serve me well here in colorado because of all the hiking i have to do to not tear up my felts. they also have studs, studded felt, aquastealth, boat soles, and lug soles so it turns into a hiking boot. If its comfort you want go with something like orvis' Henry's fork II retail $129-$149, or the clearwater retail $59-$79. If you want stability, go with simms freestone boot. but it comes down to just what works for you.... everybody has a different opinion on brand stuff that they like. but remember, most of the time you get what you pay for.

tight lines

a motrtoubum in colorado

Thanks for the advice! What part of Colorado are you in? We're going to Silverton in August for a week of Jeepin in the Mtns with the Mile High Jeep Club. We hope to get some fishing in while we're there. I'm not sure where the good spots are around Silverton. Hopefully by August, the wife and I will have gotten the knack of fly fishing down to more of an art. Any advice on fishing any of the Mtn lakes/streams(i.e. gear, techniques)?

Im in Durango, so im only about 45 min - 1hr drive on 550 straight south of silverton. There is some awesome fishing in this area. There is the Animas which starts up in silverton, but it is very poor water up there because of all the mine tailings that are up there. The Animas doesnt get good untill you get into Durango and when i say good i mean really good. the caddis will be hatching along with some awesome hopper fishing while you are out here. Shoot me a Pm and ill send you my info if you are interested so maybe i can take you and your wife out while you are here. besides the Animas, there are probably about 50 rivers within an hours drive of durango including the san juan below Navajo dam. there are also many lakes to fish also. keep in touch

motroutbum

There are two types of people. Those who dream dreams and wish, then there are the do'ers. I am a do'er!