Denton Ferry RV Park

Aeronikl

I'm making my first trip to the White below Bull Shoals later this month. We're staying at Denton Ferry RV Park. Word is that wade fishing can be very good in the area, with 0 - 2 units running. I'm re-educating myself on flows, delays in water elevation changes that far from the dam, etc. Since I normally fish at Taneycomo or below Beaver, does anyone have any suggestions for good locations below Bull Shoals near the campground? I also fish more at night than during the day, how's the night fishing?

Thanks for any help.

You are staying in a great place to fish. About a month ago I fished there with a Grant Carter a fishing buddy that was staying there. We waded up to the riffle at the top of the property just below the Hurst Hole and fished soft hackles (partridge and orange size fourteen) and Grant, my wife Lori, and I caught about fifty apiece. This spot is about ten miles from the dam. The generation pattern on the white lately is to run water in the afternoon. This means low water here most of the day with high water coming in late afternoon. I would recommend fishing near the dam at night. They have been turning the water off at about ten PM. It clears out by eleven. I recommend fishing near the dam at night because if they turn on the water you will hear the horn. Never mind that this area is loaded with trophy trout that are pretty skittish during the day. Be careful and always check the water conditions before you begin.

John Berry

OAF CONTRIBUTOR

Fly Fishing For Trout

(870)435-2169

http://www.berrybrothersguides.com

berrybrothers@infodash.com

• Members

Thanks to Scott Branyan who has compiled a list of the public access points for the White River below Bull Shoals dam. Newcomers to the White are always asking where they can access the river and this list will help.

http://www.flyflinger.com/bs_access.html

James & Gidget

Fishing is the chance to wash one's soul with pure air. It brings meekness and inspiration, reduces our egotism, soothes our troubles and shames our wickedness. Besides, it's a lotta fun!...

I, myself, will not wade fish the White at night if you are not at the dam and have a quick access from the river. The White is too dangerous.

Good Fishin, Don

Don May

I caught you a delicious bass.

I looked at Scott Branyan's website and it is helpful. I would also suggest that anyone interested in more information obtain a copy of the Home Waters book published by the Mid South Fly Fishers. It has a collection of maps of the White and every other river in the area. It has a listing of access points not just the AG&F public accesses but also the obscure spots where you can park and scramble the bank. These are places that get less pressure (where the locals fish). It is available at all area fly shops.

John Berry

OAF CONTRIBUTOR

Fly Fishing For Trout

(870)435-2169

http://www.berrybrothersguides.com

berrybrothers@infodash.com