All Advice Welcome

TroutFearMe

Hey guy and gals, me and my wife will be heading down to Branson for our one year anniversary and since I didn't make it to Colorado this year we chose to fish Taneycomo. I have never fished in taney before so I don't know what I am getting into, I have noticed ppl fish from boats and also wade whats the story on that, also what flies should I bring and will I be able to wade fish of should I look into renting a boat any help would nice.

I am heading for taney this morning, will be down for 9 days. I have only fished taney once before so I can't really help with advice but will be following this thread for clues also. I will be with the Ozarkflyfishers club out of St Louis. Will be fishing up by the dam as wading allows. Someone tell the fish to get ready to cooperatelaugh.gif .

Dennis

Eat, Fish, Sleep,....Repeat

Member: ozarkflyfishers http://www.ozarkflyfishers.org/

With no added generation going through the dam you can wade no problem. With one unit on you can wade and have limited success near the outlets. Just head for the parking lot side of the water if they blow the horn, but you can still fish the rise with potentially great success.

Fly selection is pretty standard. I personally use (do to a lack of experience with dries and woolys that are also successful) a tandem indicator rig with a green or gray scud or red san juan above a PTN, zebra midge or wd40. I personally again usually fish around a size 16 but others seem to have success anywhere from size 12 to 24 and smaller yet. Also terrestrial patterns should still be producing if the conditions are right and it might be late enough in the year to throw some egg patterns as well.

I have never fished from a boat. People have great success but I am too tight to spring for it :) If you go this route stop by and see Phil at Lilley's Landing of course, and I would also see him for buying the flys that are suggested here and for further suggestions.

I hope to talk the wife into letting me come down in the a.m. tomorrow. If I am able to and you see me come say hey. I will have on a well worn New York Yankees ball cap, light gray waders (along with 50 other guys LOL) and more than likely a light blue "ventilated" shirt. The real give away will be my bright orange hydration pack that I carry my gear in.

Hope you do well and I hope I make it down!

Please report back :)

I have spent most of my money on fly fishing and beer. The rest I just wasted.

xfcakj.jpg

The latest Trout Commander blog post: Niangua River Six Pack

Hey guy and gals, me and my wife will be heading down to Branson for our one year anniversary and since I didn't make it to Colorado this year we chose to fish Taneycomo. I have never fished in taney before so I don't know what I am getting into, I have noticed ppl fish from boats and also wade whats the story on that, also what flies should I bring and will I be able to wade fish of should I look into renting a boat any help would nice.

Remember, Taneycomo is a lake. The upper headwaters below Table Rock dam is the far upper reaches, and as stated before, unless they are running water through to generate power, it is a small wade-able stream. As you go down lake it gets wider, deeper, and has steeper banks, and is not wade-able more like a larger river or lake.

As the reports that have been posted, and the current weather forecasts lack of major rains, you should do fine in the upper areas. Remember that is in the Trophy area, with the 12-20 inch protected slot rule. Also, be aware of the warning horn that is sounded before they start the generators. Take it seriously, the water will get higher, and swifter after it sounds!

As far as techniques, and fly patterns I am of no help. I am one of those boating spin fishermen. I am sure you will get plenty of good advise from the long rod guys on this forum. You can also call or go online to check Southwest Power's generation schedule for approximate generation times. General information, and sometimes famous for being incorrect, but may give you some idea.

Real men go propless!

Ditto to JDC - I mostly use scuds (size 12-20 - smaller on sunnier days and during midday). I typically use gray or brown, and tie some weight into them, below an indicator. San juan worms as well, in brown or red. Careful wading near the dam - if you hear a horn and see everyone else heading toward the bank, feel free to join them. I always carry very small dries (usually gnats, ants, adams and olive dunns in a 20 or 22), in case I see fish sipping off the top. Not a lot of people target fish taking dries, particularly around the outlets, but it's been very productive for me in the past - my largest Taney rainbow (a meager 23 inches, but thats good for me) was taken on a size 20 black ant near the dam.

If the water's up, give Lilley a holler - Friends and I have rented a jon boat from Lilley's in the past, and had a blast, though drifting powerbait, not flies. I know some folks drift small micro jigs along the bottom and under a float from boats, but I've never tried it.

No problem! Best of luck. Also, my favorite spot to fish is the "rebar hole". To get there go down the steps at outlet 3 and look for the stretch of riffles slightly left, or down stream with the rebar sticking out of it. I have the best success just above and below the first rebar sticking up, however there were some 20"+ fish cruising the calm water just ahead of the riffles on the parking lot side in the deeper channel. I hooked into one for a couple minutes that I will go into detaail more when I have time to post a real report, as I am working on classes now.

I have spent most of my money on fly fishing and beer. The rest I just wasted.

xfcakj.jpg

The latest Trout Commander blog post: Niangua River Six Pack

Nothing really inpressive to report yet I hooked into a couple and lost them came back to the hotel for a little lunch and headed back out 3 generators running so I got to witness the combat fishing that goes on at the outlets, I hooked into what possibly was a real nice fish but I never got to see it because it run striaght to the river and I ended up getting tangle into another fisherman. But the wife has given me clearance to hit taney tonight for some late night fun.