Questionable Activity

Joe C

• Members

My son and I hiked downstream on the path at Baptist Camp saturday. We caught a handful of rainbows as we fished down stream then back up to the parking lot. We did observe 2 fellows on a high cut bank with five gallon buckets and heavy duty poles and very heavy line. The high bank (6-8ft) was above a fairly deep pool. The lines in the water seemed heavely weighted and did not move with the stiff current. They were staring at the pool then reach into the pucket and grab a rock and chuck it into the water. As we move past them upstream, they didn't make eye contact or make conversation, it made me feel very uneasy,(like bajo's in the woods). I would have called some one, but my phone had got wet, and I would not know who to call either.

Word to the wise...Please be careful. With the recent theft attempt at Tan Vat and now this, I am taking very seriously, some of the recent comments about protecting myself.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They might have been snagging suckers. I ran into two guys just below the wire doing this on Saturday. I was surprised to see them in that stretch and they had a stringer full of fish. All appeared to be on the up and up with this group assuming it is legal, but with all the people on the water this weekend I am sure they aggravated a few fisherman and spooked a lot fish. Wonder if it was the same group. Fishing was still pretty good for us...lot's of Brown's moving up.

One of my frat brothers from Licking snags down there and it sounds exactly like they were snagging. I have no idea if its legal in the blue ribbon section.

Cute animals taste better.

Snagging suckers...now I have heard it all. Why would anyone want to do this? Can you eat them? And of course the best sucker snagging is always in blue ribbon trout water.

There is no limit to what a man can do or how far he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit

Snagging suckers...now I have heard it all. Why would anyone want to do this? Can you eat them? And of course the best sucker snagging is always in blue ribbon trout water.

I think it is a pretty old school practice as I remember my grandpa doing it a long time ago in the St. Genevieve area. Personally, I think they're the ugliest fish I've ever seen, and I hate when one of them takes my fly. But, to each his own as the saying goes. I think catfish are ugly, too, but people love to fish for them. If it's legal, then who really cares if I think those fish are ugly?

Every April, the folks around Nixa start to go in droves to the rivers to snag for suckers. Then the second weekend in May is "Sucker Dayz" here where they take the suckers snagged and fry them up and serve them to unsuspecting yankees... LOL Actually, they do fry them and a lot of folks like to eat them. Sucker grabbing is an art. Try it sometime and you'll see it's not like shooting fish in a barrel... Not sure about the legality where you were, but that's what they were doing...

TIGHT LINES, YA'LL

"There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process." - Paul O’Neil

Gigging season is open now, but snagging season is not until the spring is how I understand it. I may be wrong on that though. Regardless, gigging and snagging are illegal in blue ribbon trout areas. That I know for sure.

www.elevenpointflyfishing.com

www.elevenpointcottages.com

(417)270-2497

Every April, the folks around Nixa start to go in droves to the rivers to snag for suckers. Then the second weekend in May is "Sucker Dayz" here where they take the suckers snagged and fry them up and serve them to unsuspecting yankees... LOL Actually, they do fry them and a lot of folks like to eat them. Sucker grabbing is an art. Try it sometime and you'll see it's not like shooting fish in a barrel... Not sure about the legality where you were, but that's what they were doing...

That is so crazy....learn somthing new everyday. Sounds like "Snake wacking day" from the Simpsons. I would love to see a snag an Asian Carp day.

There is no limit to what a man can do or how far he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit

Wow, it's weird that you all have never heard of sucker grabbing. In my family (uncles, cousins, etc...) they're more likely to take a grabbing pole to the creek with them than a fishing pole. In fact I learned how to grab suckers long before I was able to consistently catch brownies and such.

Not dissing you guys, it's just crazy how it's so prevalent where I'm from, yet foreign to you guys.

By the way, going grabbing is a pretty good time. You should look into getting a pole and some hooks. Suckers are really good if you score them right.