What You Using For Baits For Smallies?

jbtiwns30

Im just wondering what everybody is using these days for smalls on the river. I'm using a zoom swimmer super fluke pearl that is 4 1/2 inches then if thats not working i use gambler meano lure pearl, they are just hitting that real good. I wish I could have picks but I dropped my cam in the water.

I prefer to use an Eakins Jig with an Eakins crawl. Just let it sink as soon as you cast it and bounce it slowly to you. While letting it rest ever so often. If you need pictures just let me know. I also us a 1/16 ounce jig with a green (anything dark in color) worm about 4 inches in length.

I believe that fishing is usually better when there is a full moon. People are more crazy when there is a full moon. Thank God He made fish the way He did so I can have better fishing when people are crazier than normal.

My go-to bait is the Yum Dinger or Bass Pro Stick-O. Both are Senko type baits.

I do like to experiment, though. A few years ago, at the suggestion of several on this forum, I started using spinnerbaits, sammys, and a varety crankbaits. All with good success.

Ironically, I just purchased a pack of the Zoom super flukes swim baits. I haven't tried them yet. Can't wait to try.

wader

i love the zoom super fluke swim baits, ive caught plenty of fish on them. i keep on using them over and over and dont need to buy them all the time, if they get tore up i use super glue and that works like a gem to fix them.

• Members

You can't beat the centipede. I can't remember if they are by zoom or yum? Pretty sure its zoom. My go to is a tube body with a long tail that makes a leech.

Two ways i rig it are 1).Weightless - You will be able to find several hooks for targeting fish in weeds and other vegetation. If you want to keep the bait at or near the surface with a slower more deliberate retrieve use and unweighted EWG style hook and rig Texas style like a worm (Owner Wide Gap Plus 6/0 are best). This is my preferred shallow technique covering weed flats and boulder flats and shallow stump fields.

2)Weighted Hook – Another popular hook style is a weighted EWG or a nose screw lock hook. These hooks have varying amounts of lead molded onto the hook shank. Increasing the amount of weight will allow you to fish the bait at a faster speed or great depth if that’s what the fish want. This is a great way to hit deeper weed edges, ledges and submerged structure.