11/19/06 report

Brian Sloss

My friend Chrys fisher and his buddy Mike came over from West Plains and we got out for a day on the river Sunday. It was nice to be out fishing in the drift boat for fun rather than work. The conditions were marginal at best. The water was up about 1.25 feet above normal and 1.5 feet above its level a couple of weeks ago. The clarity was decent, which was on our side. The depth and the flow being almost double was working against us. I always throw heavy flies to get deep here, but Sunday you really had to be willing to use some serious weight.

After meeting the great white trophy hunter in the Greer parking lot (the oddest man I've met in quite some time, who took hunting and fishing stories to a whole new level of obsurdity), we hit the river. I was worried my friends were going to have a tough day, as neither have done much fly fishing. My fears were put to rest at island one where we had a couple of hook ups. Though we didn't light the world on fire, we did catch fish regularly out of the boat. At every shoal we could wade we stung a couple fish. Mike, being the least experienced, landed the best fish of the day right above Mary Decker. A 16 inch wild beauty, caught and released on OA forums own Superfly's Bitch Creek stonefly. Thanks for the flies Superfly. The aforementioned fly, Don's Crawdad, San Jaun worm, eggs, and the MOAT were the producers. Saw a couple eagles and a good time was had by all.

302264956_756931fc0a.jpg

302264950_b7f8e86fd3.jpg

www.elevenpointflyfishing.com

www.elevenpointcottages.com

(417)270-2497

Pictures don't turn out well with my skills or camera, but it is an easy tie, though not a pretty fly. Size 6 hook. Black thread. First put on a larger Tungston bead followed by 2 smaller ones. Put on a rubber tail in brown or black. Using peacock dubbing, come up from the tail a little and add a pair of rubber legs. Dubbing a little further up from those legs and add another pair just below the beads. Then add more dubbing covering all but the largest bead and whip finish. Just follow those instructions and you will have a fly that really gets down when the water is above normal and will really dredge the bottom and will pick up fish when you can't get deep enough with other flies. It takes a while to get used to casting the weight and doesn't look like a pretty fly (don't let that bother you because the trout don't care), but it works well, at least on the Eleven Point.

www.elevenpointflyfishing.com

www.elevenpointcottages.com

(417)270-2497