Do It Yourself Kayak Stake Out Pole

I have always wanted a stake out pole for our kayaks. Seen different types for sale but I am a do it your self kind of guy if I can do it. On another kayak forum I see where a guy had used a fiberglass electric fence post to do his. Here is my take on one and I used it today and I LIKE IT.

Material list:

6' long by 1/2" diameter electric fence post. Had MFA farm supply order mine. $ 3.97 what a bargain.

A short piece of 1" PVC, 2 slip on couplings threaded on one end and 2 threaded plugs.

Silicone caulking and PVC glue.

Section of small pool noodle

Easy assembly. Cut yourself a handle section of the 1" PVC. Glue the couplings on each end. Silicone the threaded plugs and screw in tight.

Drill one end plug so the fence post goes in tight. Silicone the hole and insert the post all the way through until it buts up to the other end of the handle. Another thing I did was to drill through the handle and insert a brass rod through the handle and fence post inside.

Then took a rasp and file to round off the sides of the threaded plug to match the couplings.

Took some rubber electrical tape and wrapped the handle too for a grip. Cut a section of pool noodle and slipped it up the fence post to the bottom of the handle, pushed it onto the handle some. Here are a couple of photos of it in use this morning. So much easier to use than an anchor where you can in shallow water. Use in the ring in the anchor trolley so you can adjust back and forth in wind or current to keep you fishing in the right direction. I also ran it down through the scupper holes for and aft dong the same thing where I could. If anyone wants other close up photos or has any questions ask away,

BilletHead

post-8405-0-53342400-1370897700.jpg

post-8405-0-51373000-1370897718.jpg

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead