Bass/crappie Reports - Going Today

hoglaw

Has the fishing changed much with the cooler weather? Seems like the last couple of times I fished the War Eagle area, the fish were still doing the late summer thing and my best luck was on buzz baits. Thinking about heading out there today since it's going to be so windy (I can't get my big boat in the place I wanted to go, and the little one doesn't do well with 25mph gusts). Any thoughts on what's been working or what the bass have been doing? Is it still too early for them to get on a wiggle wart on the rocky banks?

Man I don't have a clue. My last trip was last Sat. and I tried Blackburn Creek and the Prairie Creek area and could not find the large schools of bait or fish I had been finding. Water was around 63-64. I was only out for a few hours that morning so I didn’t have much time to put a pattern together due to trying multiple locations. What was working was not because the fish were no longer in the areas I had been fishing. I managed to catch some on a dropshot as I had drifted across a small school of spotted bass and had fun practicing my dropshot technique.

With water temps dropping off and probably into the upper 50’s by now, I’d say the A-rig, the A-rig, and unfortunately, the A-rig is the best technique right now. Smaller swimbaits and smaller A-rigs with one 4-5” swimbait of a different size or color is the ticket. As for locations, you’re on your own there. I don’t have a clue where to start.

I’ll be deer hunting tomorrow morning but my arm has this unstoppable motion similar to how it looks when I’m casting. I may have to give up on hunting and grab my rods and go fishing while I’m out before heading in for the day. :-)

Need marine repair? Send our own forum friend "fishinwrench" a message. 

He will treat you like family!!! I owe fishinwrench a lot of thanks. He has been a great mechanic with lots of patience!

I will say the water was more stained in Blackburn that I have seen in the past. I couldn't see an A-rig past 1-2ft.

Need marine repair? Send our own forum friend "fishinwrench" a message. 

He will treat you like family!!! I owe fishinwrench a lot of thanks. He has been a great mechanic with lots of patience!