Sink Tips

flyrodman

Depends on what and where you fish. Pair a 7 wt. Line with the rate of sink you desire and any will work fine. I like a 15 ft, type 3 sink tip for moderate river flows and it works pretty good for white bass in the spring as well. If you fish faster water or need to get it down quicker a type 5 will be better. Some of the die hard streamer boys may have some other ideas.

"The problem with a politician’s quote on Facebook is you don’t know whether or not they really said it." –Abraham Lincoln

Tales of an Ozark Campground Proprietor

Dead Drift Fly Shop

I'm not huge on the separate tips, only because they can be funky to cast. However they really are the easiest option when wanting to change sink rates.

I have a type 6 Rio tip and I throw it on an 8. It would work on a seven but the lower ips tips would work better I'm sure due to them being lighter.

If I could choose I'd prefer a spool with a sink tip integrated line just because I think they perform better and are easier to handle.

Be sure if you do get some sink tips get the 12-15 footers, not the short 5's some places carry.

Sorry, to be clear I was talking about a sink tip fly line, and not separate sink tips.

Me too.

"The problem with a politician’s quote on Facebook is you don’t know whether or not they really said it." –Abraham Lincoln

Tales of an Ozark Campground Proprietor

Dead Drift Fly Shop

If you're talking about large streamers for trout- I like my Rio Striper 26' sink tip- I have the 250 grain I think on my 7wt and it throws like a champ. That thing really gets down fast- it is not good for shallow water or wading. I also have a couple Rio integrated sink tip lines and they work ok- I prefer a full sinking line unless its a small stream or something. For white bass (wading) I use a Rio full sink type 2 on my 7 weight and it works really well.