TR New Years Day

SKMO

Would not have even posted this except it was 12/27 since Babs put anything on and it seems a shame for the site to not have some TR Bass info even if was not that informative, so I will punt.

There are a relatively large nember of bassers in the Baxter area and on up the White past SK to Big M. Several guides and lots ot hard core guys I know and recognize. My point being just "maybe" the bite here is as good or better than anywhere on the lake. Maybe.

Went out New Years Day about 1200-1700. No new or exciting info! Two of us caught 14 fish with 4 legals in that time period. It was an OK/average afternoon excursion. Water temps around SK still 49.

We did not catch a single fish in less than 65' of water, although some of them were suspended about 30' deep over Nothing.

Talk about a fish and shad hunt we had one. Caught all our fish way out in the middle of the lake where we saw scattered shad balls. Fished 5" smoke grubs and they bit them real well if and when we got over some fish, but it is a big lake and more or less a crap shoot to get something in the cone to present to.

Water temp profile seems uniform down to way-deep (70') so these fish can be about anywhere.

The guys that have confidence in the 2-20' fish are catching a few on jigs and whatnot. Don't get me wrong I think a fellow could do real well on some shallow fish when the stars lined up but I am an offshore guy and not a good source of info on the shallow bite right now.

A bit later, a few weeks from now ... watch out. When the shallow fish wake up I'll be plugging away right in the midst of it.

It's approaching the time of year where about anything can work with some cloud cover and a bit of a breeze. Not sure if we will ever get a real winter pattern (wiith mid 30s water temps and a shad kill) but I am already looking forward to the Feb stickbait bite.

Tight Lines - SKMO

SKMO

"A True Fisherman with a Rod in His hand, and a Tug on the Line, would not Trade His Position for the Throne of Any King"

skmo: went to sk today. first time since week before xmas. only two fish chose to bite my jig. quite a change from the last few trips but a nice sunny day. i did notice several schools of shad & diving birds near mid lake in the play port area. should have checked it out i guess. seems to me the fishings going to be pretty spotty until spring but i still like trying. i enjoy your fishing reports. you do a nice job with the fishing info. i still haven't decided on a fish finder. looking into the hummingbird side-imaging fish finder now. hate to quit on lowrence but this new unit is very interesting, to say the least.

Yep, the birds can be your friend. There are usually not that many gulls around on the lake, so even 6-8 that continually cruise a spot usually indicate shad below.

Fishing is always spotty for me. I am not wishing for bitter cold weather but I think water temp around 38-40 would put them in more of a winter pattern, at least concentrating the shad in some of the coves and prompting some shad kill. Seems to me it is more of a fall pattern out on the gravel, and with uniform water temp down to 70+ feet makes them even harder to pin down as to a depth.

I looked at the side imaging H-Birds as well. I imagine this might be a technology that could displace the current standard over the next few years. Personally I have a hard time trying to interpret the image, but I could probably get used to it. Also it seemed to me that you would not be able to see your rig on a vertical presentation and that would be a deal breaker for me.

SKMO

"A True Fisherman with a Rod in His hand, and a Tug on the Line, would not Trade His Position for the Throne of Any King"