Micro Jig

After learning to tie the Peppy scud, Rolan in his class the other night taught me the best ways to tie a micro jig. Here is my first attempt at a 1/100 oz olive. Thanks again Rolan...Dano

222633598.jpg

Glass Has Class

"from the laid back lane in the Arkansas Ozarks"

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John

Not much to it. I think the hardest part will be to find the right 1/100 oz jigs. These that Rolan molded are on a size 12 hook. I have my eyes on some Cabelas jig hooks (anyone got them locally)? But I think the Cabelas are size 10 hooks. I would prefer the 12's.

All I did per Rolans's instructions was just to take a few tufts of marabou and tie it in at the jig head. I had to turn the hook over to tie in a little extra on the bottom of the hook. The marabout was a bit long so I did pinch it to size. I used red thread for the olive. That's it in a nutshell.

Dano

Glass Has Class

Thanks Dano, It looked like it would be pretty simple, just wanted to make sure there weren't any hidden steps. There's a shop in Lamar that has a bunch of jig heads. I'll check the next time I'm over and see what size hook their on. I know he has several sizes in stock. I'll let you know when I get over there.

John

Born to Fish, Forced to Work

KSMEDIC.COM

John,

Thanks I would like to see what you come up with. I would be interested in some.

Rolan

My mistake. I thought you told me a 12, but I guess I got it confused with the sz 12 you were tying the peppy scud with.

Dano

Glass Has Class

I noticed that Bass Pro carries a size 8 and 10 jig head in 1/80, and 1/120 oz's. They have them in gold, silver and unplated. I don't know if Phil carries them.

Glass Has Class

yep we sure do got em at bps, but for me it seems that the hook is just one size too big on those. The ones we carry are the generic package that many fly shops carry with the gray/white card with jigheads written on it.

I prefer to order mine through reeds cabins because they have the smaller hooksize which i really like. The price is right and i can get them unpainted in gold or bronze hooks. I order the 1/16-1/180 and paint them myself...although they do come in many colors already painted