Trout Crack...my attempt

Just thought I'd post a picture of my attempt at tying Wilson's Trout Crack. I've tied up 3 of them and this one was the best. I've got this tied on a #14 mustad. I know the recipe called for 04 mono but all they had at The Woodsman when I went in was 06. (They're right...monofilimant sure is hard to tie with!) Furthermore the only v-rib they could come up with was size large and in black. I improvised and went with some brown swiss straw. I followed Jeremy Hunt's instructions until I got to the rib, I had to twist the swiss straw really tight to get it downsized, then I tied it up instead of the rib. Looks ok, I think. I guess my biggest complaint is that I can't see the segmentation as well as I would have liked and the antron wouldn't dub onto the mono as easily as I thought it would but overall I'm pleased with it. Hope it catches some fish for me next month!

trout_crack.jpg

Mikey

Each time I buy a new fly............

My wife gives me the same look........

I give her when she buys another purse...

................4171.gif..............

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mikey..

Not bad at all..

but if your looking for some good thread to tye those with..

white GSP... it blends in with the back and the dubbing

Also if you hold (pinch tighly).. the dubbing close to the hook .. you can wrap that dubbing alittle tighter...

then just trim the extra little burrs off

Leonard

The shop I was at didn't have any gsp. They were out of a lot of stuff, but the prices were reasonable. That and I don't think the guy at the register knew what he was ringing up. He never asked, tho.

Anyone have amy tips on making eggs actually look round? All of mine either look like a wad of yellow snot or a malformed wooly bugger...

Mikey

With the eggs the key is to pull the yarn up tight and then cut it. It will automatically form the round shape. Take the yarn and pull it at a 90 degree angle from the hook. Pull tight and then cut straight across with your scissors. I don't know why this works but it does. Hope this isn't too confusing. Maybe someone else with the gift of words can explain this better.

John

Born to Fish, Forced to Work

KSMEDIC.COM

Looks good to me! You are going to be your own worst critic. Relax, have fun, and let the fish decide how it looks! :D (I say this because I have tied some that never saw the light of day!)

To make the eggs rounder, you have to cut close to the eye and quick. (I got some advice on this last week at the fly tying class at Lilley's.) Don't hesitate, just cut. Jeremy's were perfectly round. Mine still have a little tail, but it's getting better. I think I let the foam slip a little when I start cutting.

Have fun!

Yikes!!! I Hate that warning horn

Mikey,

Go to (click here) Zach Matthews' website. He has a pretty good video on how to tie trout crack. Yours looks purty good and will catch fish. Also, Dale Fulton's Blue Ribbon Fly Shop in Mt Home, AR use to have a "trout crack" kit you could buy with all the correct dubbing, v-rib, and mono.

Jimmy T at Wishes and Fishes Fly Shop ties crack and may have a kit as well. www.flyfisharkansas.com

According to Jimmy (and John) this is what the fly should look like...

TroutCrack.jpg

TIGHT LINES, YA'LL

"There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process." - Paul O’Neil

Thanks for the feedback guys. I guess mostly it's a learning process. But so relaxing once I get into the groove of it all.

When you guys were learning how to tie how many times did you let the point of the hook snap your thread? If I ge careless(i.e. too relaxed) I have a tendency to get into the point after I'm well into the tying a fly and boy is it irritating. Maybe I'll start crimping down the hook point when I'm crimping my barbs. :P

Mikey

When you guys were learning how to tie how many times did you let the point of the hook snap your thread?

Learning, hell... I STILL snap thread now and then... occasionally... OK... A LOT! I know guys that have been tying for years and that still happens to them. Sometimes it's the thread, sometimes the hook, sometimes the bobbin, sometimes it's the Wapsi Gremlins. Just the nature of the beast, I suppose.

TIGHT LINES, YA'LL

"There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process." - Paul O’Neil