Question about vises

I am going to buy a new vise in the very near future (like this weekend) and I have a couple of questions.

1) Does it make much of a difference if the vise has a base or if it is a "portable" such as the Griffin Spider Vise?

2) What is the little spring for? I have one on my vise at home and have no idea what the heck it is used for.

3) I have about $120 to spend on this vise. What are some suggestions in that range? Keeping in mind I will be tying everything from trout midges to large streamers.

Thanks for any advice and suggestions

John

You are so stupid you threw a rock at the ground and missed.

1) I wouldn't have anything but a vise on a base. I can't see any reason for a clamp if it can be avoided. Spinning hair requires a stable vise, but there are bases that will allow it.

2) Thats to hold material out of your way. for instance ribbing material. You would put the rib material in the spring while you build the body, keeping it back and out of your way.

3) For all around, its real hard to beat a Renzetti Traveler. Its also very popular. I would check sources such as E-bay for one at a good price.

Today's release is tomorrows gift to another fisherman.

1) I wouldn't have anything but a vise on a base. I can't see any reason for a clamp if it can be avoided. Spinning hair requires a stable vise, but there are bases that will allow it.

2) Thats to hold material out of your way. for instance ribbing material. You would put the rib material in the spring while you build the body, keeping it back and out of your way.

3) For all around, its real hard to beat a Renzetti Traveler. Its also very popular. I would check sources such as E-bay for one at a good price.

Excellent wisdom from Wayne.

I totally agree on the choice of Renzetti.

Very reliable and because they are the actual manufacturer there should never be an issue with getting parts down the road if necessary. (ditto the issue, when it comes to fly reels).

I've been tying on the Traveler model for years.

I will add that while I agree that the portable model is the best all-around so you can set it or take it anywhere, I use the clamp on my home tying bench with the addition of the extension arm to get it closer to me so I don't have the tendency to lean toward the bench therefore fatiguing my back.

The clamp, arm and other accessories can always be purchased later.

You can view the Renzetti website at www.renzetti.com (the pedestal model is $159.95)

Oh, another thing about this type vise. It is a rotary-style vise meaning you can turn the fly at any angle (full 360 rotation) to reach the under or back side. Very important in this era of fly tying because we tie so many types of flies.

You will love it.

BB

Bill Butts

Springfield MO

"So many fish, so little time"

Tippet,

I myself have only had a few, and none have been expensive, but I can offer a little from that perspective. I am currently tying on a basic rotary vise made by Terra Fly Tools. It is relatively inexpensive and offers a very serviceable vise for the money. Terra also makes a spring jaw model similar to the Regal which is also very serviceable. Dano recently replaced his Griffin Spider with a Terra Spring Vise, and I believe he has been happy with it. I sell both for under $50, but unfortunately, I don't have either in stock right now.

I have tied on the Griffins, Regals, and a few others, but never a Renzetti. Renzetti does have a great reputation and is without a doubt an excellent vise worth the money.

As for pedestals, if the vise you choose has a good base, then that is the way to go. You could always add a clamp later if you decide that you would prefer one. They are pretty reasonable. If the vise you choose has a small base or a light base, then you might be better off with a clamp model and adding a base that will better suit your needs later.

Getting a new vise is exciting, it is a good excuse to tye something!

jOrOb

jOrOb

"The Lord has blessed us all today... It's just that he has been particularly good to me." Rev MacLean

• Members

I would also consider some of the basic models made by HMH or DynaKing. I use a DynaKing and can recommend it. Can be a little pricey though.

Maybe:

http://www.dyna-king.com/flyvise_dtl.asp?i...=7&pv=0&pid=082

Heres mine:

http://www.dyna-king.com/flyvise_dtl.asp?i...=0&pv=0&pid=001

If it were my $$$, I'd buy this one:

http://www.dhthompson.com/vises/modela.htm

Tim

• Members

I've had a Regal vise for 10 years, no problems at all. I still tie flies from 22 to 2/0 with it. Just squeeze the lever, put the hook in, and release the lever. TOOOOOOOO simple!!!!!!!!

"Here's to saints and sinners who've ever cast a dry fly

upon the moving water and couldn't answer why."

• Members

If possible get a vise that can allow both, clamp and base mounts.

There have been many times when staying at a cabin/resort where a clamp style vise wont work. (nothing to clamp it to) My buddy has a base mount for his and that has saved the day many times over.

It's kind of hard to go wrong if you buy a quality vise from a company like Regal, dyna king, HMH, Renzetti, etc. If you plan to continue to tie I would stay away from the cheapies. They work but they don't last very well.

I've got an HMH and love it. I have the spartan. But I think the silhouette is about the best value out there. Under $100 with a lifetime warranty.

Greg

"My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it" - Koos Brandt

Greg Mitchell

Hey Tippet - what'd ya get ?

Renzetti / Griffin / Dyna King / HMH / Thompson ?

I am dying to know what you ended up with.

happy tying - Brian

Just once I wish a trout would wink at me!

ozarkflyfisher@gmail.com

I'm the guy wearing the same Simms longbilled hat for 10 years now.