Fly Line Questions

am4mu

I received my 2008 BPS catalog in the mail yesterday. I turned to the fly fishing section and got no farther. I have questions about three fly lines I saw. First the Scientific Anglers Sharksin line And second the Rio Gold. Does anyone know the story on these two lines? The third line was Scientific Anglers Mastery GPX with dry tip. Is this the same as the old GPX? Thanks for your help. Hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season. Doug

Doug Kiefer

Independence, Mo

h: am4mu@comcast.net

w: dougk@schulzetool.com

I haven't cast the Rio Gold or the SA sharkskin. But I do have one of SA's mastery lines with the dry tip. Yes it is the same as the old mastery (GPX, trout, or whatever) with a special coating at the tip. The dry tip does kind of work. It definitely makes the tip float longer. But the tip still does eventually start sinking. But I still like SA's mastery series lines better than anything I've used.

I've read about the sharkskin. Sounds cool and I'd like to cast one. The price is I think $99 which is kind of steep though.

Greg

"My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it" - Koos Brandt

Greg Mitchell

I have casted both the Sharkskin and the Rio Gold. The Sharkskin will have to be on the market for a little while longer before I pay $99 for it. I really did like the line and would have it if it was a little more reasonable. It shoots like CRAZY and I actually like the sound it makes going through the guides! The Rio Gold is really nice too. It had a really nice feel, but seemed a little on the heavy side to me. I bet it fishes great.

I am fishing the Mastery GPX with the Dry Tip. I was really bummed out after the first trip I took becuase I cut the "welded loop" while straight lining with a streamer. It really is a good line and I have no problems with it now. One thing to watch with this line though is if you nymph at any distance it is kind of hard to tell how the last several feet of your line is laying because of the last 12' or so of line is a darker color. But I was fishing a brighter line all the way to the end before I got the new GPX. Once you get used to that thought it really is a great line.

Waiting for one more little boy to go to sleep so I can eat some cookies and carrots.... :P

Brian

Brian - I've got a mastery trout with dry tip that the welded loop cut on me too after just a few trips. I wonder if the dry tip makes them prone to that somehow? I exchanged it for an SA mastery trout without the dry tip and didn't have a repeat.

I've been going back and forth between SA and Rio lines. But I think I've decided I like SA mastery lines the best. They seem more supple to me with less memory. But the Rio lines are pretty darned good too.

But heck I've got a Bass Pro CV2 $19 line that I think is close to as good as the $60 lines.

Greg

"My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it" - Koos Brandt

Greg Mitchell