Pelican Dakota 15.5' Canoe

I have a question for all those that know more about canoes then I do. My nephew was wanting to purchase a canoe from Academy Sports for they have them pretty cheep. It is a Pelican Dakota 15.5' Canoe and they are priced at $299. We have been looking for a used one but they are pretty much priced higher then this one new. It will be used on the lazy rivers and creeks and ponds located around my area but will like to do some fishing on some of the clearer streams located in central and southwest Missouri. My question is this a exceptable canoe for the price and will it do the job for novice canoers? Don't plan on doing many over nighters but do need it to accommodate two small adults and one skinny kid. all info appreciated. Mark

The problem with that canoe is the material it is made out of.. For ponds and stuff it's okay, but your first trip down a river will undoubtedly decommission it (you'll bump a rock and crack the hull)

cricket.c21.com

And don't leave it in the sun, it will get brittle and warp. I would keep an eye on craigslist for a royalex boat, you can usually pick up an older old town discovery for $300-400. I would even pick up an aluminum canoe before I would pick up one of those pelicans. Aluminum is light, tough as nails and will last forever. It just gets real hot when it is in the sun a long time, and it is really loud when you hit riffles and when you set down a paddle or fishing pole.

Guys thanks for the advice. I figured there was some catch for them being so cheep. And siusaluki I have thought about an aluminum canoe and have even thought about getting one and painting the inside with liquid rubber to deaden the noise. I figured it would add a few pounds to it but I think the benefits would outweigh the cons.

Understand...people actually buy those things, and some of them find them serviceable. It's just that the difference in weight, handling, durability, and ease of repair between the Pelicans and Colemans and canoes made out of better materials is like night and day. As the others have said, you would be better off to find a used Royalex, or a used Old Town Discovery, or even a beater aluminum, even if you had to pay a hundred or so more for it.

I like Royalex account of the weight. The poly boats are heavier but tougher. I have a Discovery 15 8 in very good shape, been floated some has some scratches but no true damage, have not used in 3 years hanging on the shed wall would take $400 (firm) A much better boat than the pelican. Need to get around to posting in for sale.

“If a cluttered desk is a sign, of a cluttered mind, of what then, is an empty desk a sign?”- Albert Einstein

There is a member of this forum that bought one a few years ago. I know he and his cousin use it very often on the waters of the Ozarks and have had zero trouble with it. I saw it just a while back and it still looks great.

Volumns can and have been written about the pro's and con's of each brand. In the end it all boils down to each individuals needs and uses and the amount someone has budgeted. No matter which canoe you settle on though, it is imperative that you do store it out of the weather!

Chief Grey Bear

Living is dangerous to your health

Owner Ozark Fishing Expeditions

Co-Owner, Chief Executive Product Development Team Jerm Werm

Executive Pro Staff Team Agnew

Executive Pro Staff Paul Dallas Productions

Executive Pro Staff Team Heddon, River Division

Chief Primary Consultant Missouri Smallmouth Alliance

Executive Vice President Ronnie Moore Outdoors

Well could I ask about a Old Town Rockport? Know of one that looks in good shape for $250 with a few accessories. But it might be of the same caliber as the Pelican. Just like the thought of three seats.

The Rockport is made out of better material than the Pelican, for sure. It's a very short, wide tandem canoe. As such, it won't be the best handling canoe you can get by far, but I'd buy it over the Pelican.

A few things to think about...any canoe less than 15 feet long may present some problems with two anglers in it, because the separation between the two may not be enough to make it unlikely that the casting angler would snag his partner! A short canoe also causes problems with stowing fishing rods so that the tips are within the gunwales of the canoe and out of danger of snagging on brush as you go by.

Personally, I don't like the geegaws like built in cupholders and molded in seats...they add weight and they may not fit you. I'd rather get a plain and simple canoe and customize it myself. The molded seats also make it harder to use an aftermarket seat backrest.