Newbie Fishing At Beaver Lake

wc1063

Envy! that is one awesome looking fish! Did you catch her at PC as well?

We went out this morning from 7:30 to about 11 out of PC. Dense fog at first, then turned out to be another beautiful day at the lake. About 20 to 25 trailers out there, that's the most I've seen besides that day when there's a tournament. Saw a couple of guide boats(cc with lots of rods sticking straight up) or boats that geared toward striper. Saw them trolled around PC, but didn't see any hook-ups. There's maybe 6-7 boats fishing at PC cove at that time.

And since I didn't get any bait the day before, We just did the usual black bass thing, near points and slopes, throwing worms and senko and drop shoting. Never thought to check the back of the cove for shad since I didn't find any at the creek. Didn't catch any at PC, went to Ventis cove next, only caught a decent spot and a few small ones.

So I guess if you want to fish for striper, you really need to find them shad first. For one moment, I thought maybe I should go look for them, but then I thought it's past dawn, I probably won't be able to find them. I guess I'm dead wrong on that.

Anyways, that's one monster!! Congrats!!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I should have added this as an FYI: These fish are targetable for shore anglers. Take old Praire Creek Road to the dirt ramp and start walking back up toward the creek, I would suggest pencil Poppers and 1oz White Bucktails. They are right on shore.

WC You can get shad at all times if you can find them flipping. Right now they are pinned up in the back of PC we actually had Stripers slashing them in the far back of the cove where it turns to mud as we were catching the shad. { i mean seriously I could have walked the area they were slashing them in and not got above my shin)

These fish are very easy right now. Im simply using a 3/0 circle hook straight to 12lbs Flouro and casting the shad toward the bank. Keeping my boat 100 feet off the bank and using the side scan to look at the fish " should note the boils give them away" but watching the side scan i can see the cuts they are using to run the bait up. Just stick a bait over one of the cuts and your on. If all goes well today ill be sneaking out there this evening for a couple hours. No reason to miss wide open bites.

I might sneak over there this evening myself, probably just throw artificials at them. If you see a 17' Express with a 60 HP Yammie on the back, stop by and say hi.

If anyone needs company tue-friday I have a big net and my boat is down and could use a ride. :blush:

Slow this afternoon till right at sunset then a few started biting, ALOT more boats in there tonight. Quill it was good to see you made it, how did you end up doing in the back?

293673_281129468584314_100000617891191_894504_744027931_n.jpg On the Fly

304063_281144518582809_100000617891191_894519_1229318607_n.jpg A little 14 pounder.

Had a few rats in the 6 pound range as well.

If you see someone clueless in a yellow Nitro, that'll probably be me, pls stop by and give me some tips(or clues)!

We went out today for a few hours in the afternoon, I was looking for shad flipping at very back of the PC cove, didn't see any, finally gave up after an hour looking for them. Caught a few small bass trolling cranks, left around 6 PM.

I'm sending the truck to the bodyshop to repair a fender bender tomorrow, so won't have anything to trailer the boat with for a few days. Try catch some big'uns for me.

I do have a question about the fishfinder, I have a Lowrance HDS-10 unit. Today I turn off the fish ID feature while trolling, but I don't see any arches on the graph, but as soon as I turned on the fish ID, I can see the little fish symbols with depth. Is there something wrong with the tranducer, or I just don't have it set up right. If I remember correctly, the colorline was set at 63, sensitivity and depth at auto, frequency at 200 khz, and ping speed at 18. I tried to play with colorline, sensitivity, and ping speed (including what F & F recommends) to no avail. Also, does anyone know how to rotate the screens on them, I like to have the downscan and sonar on one side(top and bottom), and sidescan and gps on another. I went though the manual, didn't find anything about rotating the screens, only adjusting the panel sizes.

Appreciate any comment!!

Im confused, The shad were all over the back of PC, I went up the creek arm a little threw the net and had 30 pcs of bait. Im betteing Quill did real good back up in there most the boat traffic was up by me near the dirt ramp. If your out Saturday look for the crazy SOB with the fly rods out the back of the boat in the Tracker. Just come on over and introduce yourself and I will try my best to get you on them. I dont mind company plenty of fish to go around and besides i get a kick out of seeing someone else hooked up.