Kayak Outboard height for side mount

this is the current setup... img_6934.jpg

(motor is pulled up in photo)

underway i have about 2inches of freeboard putting waterline just under the 2x6 motor mount and just under the metal brackets you see on the yak, not much! Currently i have lots of shaft under water and a 0deg on the "transom"/motor mount.  I tried to take er 1 mile up the Missouri river yesterday and just couldn't quite beat the current short of massive physical exertion with paddle assist, so i called it quits. I think the motor/prop/ cav plate should come way up 5-7inches..prop should probably be mid yak looking from the side or just under the waterliine basically... yeah?  so i need to bring er up ?  after that im thinking about trimming up/back to get the traditional 12-15deg transom angle one would normaly find on a jon boat..after that rich lean highspeed settings.  Am I barking up the right trees? Thanks

Missouriflies.com Online Carp Fly Store :)

I think this does it.... testing will tell. pretty simple adjustment before i buy the jon/cannoe since i have the yak and it does me well. 

photo 2(2).JPG

and I was barking up the wrong tree with trimming up/back. all those settings seem to be  for bridging from the 15deg transom to approx 0 in my case i can only go from 0 to 25deg in the other direction ie shallow water drive style/ rooster tail...someday i will see what it does not today.

Obviously me and the cat are tight....

6 hours ago, RSBreth said:

I see an easy way to dump and get everything on board (including the captain) wet in that right there...

cuz you don't see the outriggers I assume .. fyi it has never been "dumped" or "rolled" ever. I did fall out one day while battling a fish and trying to opperate the trolling motor at the same time :)

img_6930.jpg

Pvc.  The backyard engineer's wonder material.

Just a thought.  If you take all of that crap off of the kayak, it should be light enough to paddle upstream easily.

Where is the battery for the trolling motor?

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."

Hunter S. Thompson

9 minutes ago, jdmidwest said:

Pvc.  The backyard engineer's wonder material.

Just a thought.  If you take all of that crap off of the kayak, it should be light enough to paddle upstream easily.

Where is the battery for the trolling motor?

lol.. I wish.  missouri river current is strong ! I MAY have done it unassisted before...which is why I don't wanna do it again...  the battery goes in the front compartment, for actually getting upriver I've decided against using the battery and  trolling motor...though they may actually help, the compartment needs to be open and all in all that makes me nervous for the time being, untill i get everything sorted and comfortable i feel better without the load and open hatch. 

A kayak is designed to be light and lean to paddle.  The least amount of weight in the boat should let you glide upstream against most currents.  Hull design comes into play too and that may be dragging you down with a paddle.  The boat has a weight rating sticker somewhere on it.  Unless you are a stick man, I would say the accessories installed may be reaching the max for the hull design.

I have seen the Missouri River on a few crossings.  Actually went to downtown riverside St Charles for the first time last Sat.  Neat place.  That river looks like bigger boat and motor territory.  How does the rig hold up to barge wake?

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."

Hunter S. Thompson

24 minutes ago, jdmidwest said:

A kayak is designed to be light and lean to paddle.  The least amount of weight in the boat should let you glide upstream against most currents.  Hull design comes into play too and that may be dragging you down with a paddle.  The boat has a weight rating sticker somewhere on it.  Unless you are a stick man, I would say the accessories installed may be reaching the max for the hull design.

I have seen the Missouri River on a few crossings.  Actually went to downtown riverside St Charles for the first time last Sat.  Neat place.  That river looks like bigger boat and motor territory.  How does the rig hold up to barge wake?

thanks buddy... I had no idea kayaks were supposed to be light and slice through the water... or there was a weight rating. seriously?  it should still float no matter what as long as the hatch is closed. barge wakes look scary and i will avoid them at all cost..lower missouri doesn't get many barges though. and yes it is big boat/motor territory but every year hundreds of people yak nonstop form KC to STL ... going the other direction with gear requires a motor IMO unless your stupid...  I just wanted to know weather bringing the prop up 5-6 inches was going to get me some extra mph and from a few google searches I believe it will.

ps I haven't added even 30lbs with riggers and motor mount... i guarantee you its the prop depth not the load of the motor mount/riggers but whatever... riggers aint comming off. will try motor at new heigh