Smallmouth and streams

I agree with the "secrecy". The stream that I am certain is the best in Missouri for numbers of smallmouths, with the occasional 18-20 incher, is one that I have yet to see another angler on during the low waters of summer (although I know that there are others who know about it and fish it). And I intend to do all I can to keep it that way. The best small wading creek in my area (only about 3 miles of fishable water, but you can easily catch more than 50 fish on it up to 19 inches or so), I made the mistake of telling somebody without stressing to them to keep it quiet. Found out later that they had told a couple of other people, and I'm just agonizing over whether I'm going to see the fishery decline abruptly next summer.

Fact is that fishing success on smallies in Ozark streams is VERY much related to fishing pressure. All other things being equal, if the stream is big enough to have jet boats, tournaments, and lots of gigging, it will be poorer fishing than a canoeable but not jetboatable stream, simply because the jet boats make it so much easier and more convenient to fish (and gig). The canoeable streams that have lots of canoe rental outfits will not be as good as those that are strictly do-it-yourself floating. And the little creeks that don't have convenient access will be better than those that do.

Fishing on Ozark streams is also continually changing. I've been fishing Ozark rivers for more than 40 years. Overall, the best fishing on the larger streams was back in ten year period from 1975 to 1985, when the 12 inch length limit on MO streams had time to take effect, but before the advent of jet boats--and on northern Ozark streams, before spotted bass started taking over. The middle and lower Meramec and Gasconade were, at the time, probably the two best streams in the Midwest for big smallmouths.

The best fishing on the smaller but canoeable streams was from about 1990 to 2000, but they've been getting more popular since the beginning of that time, and now I'm seeing a decline in the fisheries in them. Gravel mining, pollution, erosion, and maybe even predation from otters in a few cases, are all contributing to the decline.

That's why, if you have a great creek, you better cherish it and be very protective of it...the great creeks are getting fewer all the time.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's why, if you have a great creek, you better cherish it and be very protective of it...the great creeks are getting fewer all the time.

I agree with being very cautious about revealing great fishing spots to the public. Stream Smallmouth fishing in MO is a very special passion, especially since the fish ARE native to the region. Over the past 35+ years I've fished about every stream mentioned in this thread and have great but different memories of each.

The unfortunate thing about the small streams and creeks is they are ultra-sensitive to catch-n-kill fishing much more than just numbers of fishermen. I couldn't tell you how many times I've waded up or down from a low water bridge on a great little stream and met some locals heading back to their rig with a stringer of 8-10" smallies. Sickening! It is a frustrating thing to be in that situation and know there is really nothing you can do. Obviously, you are outnumbered and in their neighborhood. If you try to educate them or encourage them to fish within the law they laugh or get pissed. I've yet to have any car windows broken or tires flattened, but it would happen if you say the wrong thing (even with the right intentions).

I think we should be sharing these great small stream spots with our fishing buddies and others we can trust to respect the resource. These resources do need friends (users) that have the right ethical approach to fishing and keeping the resource healthy by releasing the Smallies and taking the panfish if they want a fish fry. Sharing them on the Net isn't probably a good idea, unfortunately. The larger rivers like the James, Mereamec, lower Niangua, Buffalo and Gasconade are less sensitive due to the pure size of the resource. They do get their share of pressure from the jet-boaters and floaters, but they aren't as easily decimated by a handful of local meathogs. It would be good if there was better enforcement, overall.

I would encourage anglers to spend more time seeking out some great Smallmouth waters. It takes time but there are so many great places you WILL find them. As Al said, the streams and fisheries do change in character and fish populations over the years. There are few fishing pleasures more relaxing than a warm summer day float/wade for our native Smallmouth and the other residents of their world that are usually very cooperative hitting small artificials and flies.

Bill Butts

Springfield MO

"So many fish, so little time"

Butts....I do not hesitate to call the Conservation Officer when I see a violation. That' the ONLY legitimate reason I can think of for having a cel phone on the creek or in the woods. I say with pride that I turned in 4 violators last summer, wish I knew the outcome. I haven't had any problems yet and let's just say I am prepared for that eventuality. But then, I live in the area where most of my fishing takes place. You're right about them getting PO'ed and not being able to educate them. Ignorance can be educated...stupidity is permanent and often voluntary.

Vic

I'd rather live my entire life, living as if there is a God and Jesus and to find out at the end that there isn't, than to live my entire life as if there is no God and Jesus and to find out at the end that there is.

I sometimes wonder, in reality, how many meat hogs learn about fishing spots from the internet, however. As Butts and Sharps alluded, it seems that most of the meat fishermen I run into are locals, who obviously already know about the creeks they are fishing. Not saying they wouldn't be checking out stuff on the net, but would they be likely to travel halfway across the state to fish somebody else's creeks? I don't know...but I'm not willing to take the chance.

The meat fishermen have always been around, both the legal ones and the illegal ones. There may be fewer of them now than there once were...but on the other hand, with all the advances in equipment and knowledge, they are probably better anglers than in the past, and able to do more damage. And even in the absence of meat hogs, pure fishing pressure CAN affect a smallmouth stream. Seems to me that, unlike trout streams which seem to be able to take an unbelievable amount of catch and release fishing pressure and still provide good fishing, a heavily fished smallmouth stream will eventually become tough to catch fish from. Are the fish learning to avoid lures? Are is there more delayed mortality than we think there is? Or is it something else?

One thing is certain, there are a lot more threats to smallie streams than just fishing pressure. I used to spend a LOT of time on the Meramec River, everywhere from Maramec Spring all the way to Robertsville. I watched the fishery on this river decline very abruptly in the mid 1980s. The only reason I can come up with for the decline, which was in numbers of smaller fish first, was something affecting the spawn, and the only thing I thought could have affected the spawn was the advent of jetboats, the wakes of which were causing commotion and stress to spawning fish along the banks, and stirring up silt which covered the nests. For a long time I was totally against jetboats for that reason. But as time has passed, I believe the fish finally became accustomed to jetboat wakes, and that they no longer affect the spawn the way they once did.

That doesn't mean that unlimited jetboat use is totally benign, however. A lot of people who have spent the years on the rivers that I have are convinced that jetboat wakes have widened and shallowed a lot of the riffle areas on the Meramec, Gasconade, and Current. The constant pounding of the shorelines of the rivers by the wakes of large boats in such confined spaces have caused quite a bit of bank erosion.

And maybe the WORST thing that has happened to the population of BIG smallmouths from jetboats is the fact that they have made gigging so much easier and more popular. Far too many giggers illegally kill smallmouths and other game fish, and there is virtually NO enforcement of laws against it.

And before you think I'm only against jetboats, I'm really getting concerned about the lack of enforcement of the laws against riding ATVs in stream beds. Seems like that problem is now growing again by leaps and bounds. And thanks to a political climate in which MO DNR is handcuffed by lack of funds and lack of support for enforcement and protection activities, gravel dredging and other destructive development practices along the streams are getting worse.

But enough ranting...sorry to hijack the thread, which started out to be about favorite smallie streams and favorite ways to fish them!

So...favorite ways to fish for smallmouths:

I love to fish out of a solo canoe, even on streams that most people might consider too small to be floatable. I like to cover a lot of water and fish fast moving lures, many of which I make myself. To me, the greatest thing about river smallmouth is the way they strike surface and near surface lures, and I love seeing them attack a lure. So my favorite lures are topwaters, a crankbait that I make myself that runs only a foot or two deep, and a homemade spinnerbait that I almost always fish so that it runs just under the surface.

Of course, I fish for smallies yearround, and when it gets cold the fast moving lures don't work, so I go to homemade hair jigs and tubes this time of year. And once in a while the fast moving lures aren't working well even in the summer, in which case I'll go to a jig and pig and various soft plastics.

I occasionally use a fly rod for smallies, but mostly reserve the long rod for trout fishing.

The Smallies appear to have another threat now in the form of extreme low water. Many of the waters in SW Missouri and Arkansas are heading for record lows, or have already reach them. :(

Today's release is tomorrows gift to another fisherman.

Al,

Meant to mention previously how much I enjoy your artwork.

I'm sure few of the forum guys realize who you are, but for those interested in some amazing fish and wildlife artwork I'm going to suggest they treat themselves by checking out your website at www.alagnew.com Wow!!

Many years ago I was priveleged to be invited to be one of the judges for artwork entries for the annual MDC Trout Stamp. I cannot recall which year it was but I think it was 1986 the special anniversary year for the MDC Commission. Anyway, your entry was the winner and was the one that portrayed both the old days (stocking fish from milk cans) and modern day (the addition of Brown Trout) trout fishing in our great state.

Wasn't that 86?

I appreciate your comments about smallmouth fishing and I know you have considerable experience on many of our rivers. Didn't you used to fish with Joel Vance or Spence Turner, or both? Haven't heard much about Spence since he retired. I assumed he would continue his writing.

Do you have any buddies that flyfish (or use other light tackle) for Stripers/Hybrid Stripers and/or White Bass?

I'm always trying to network with guys that have that passion. Some of the best flyfishers in this area that fish for those great fish don't even use a computer or email.

Thanks for participating in the Forum and gracing artlovers with beautiful images of your work.

BB

Bill Butts

Springfield MO

Thanks, BB...

Yeah, that was in 1986, for the 1987 trout stamp. It was a fun design to do, with the old stocking truck and milk jugs.

I've been on the river with Turner a time or two. Joel and I never have gotten a chance to fish together. I've spent some time with others at MDC. For those of us who care about stream smallies, Kevin Meneau, the biologist who is mostly in charge of smallie regulations, is about the best friend we can have.

For some reason, I don't really know anybody who fishes much for the white bass and stripers. I've never gotten into it, myself.

Thanks, BB...

I've spent some time with others at MDC. For those of us who care about stream smallies, Kevin Meneau, the biologist who is mostly in charge of smallie regulations, is about the best friend we can have.

For some reason, I don't really know anybody who fishes much for the white bass and stripers. I've never gotten into it, myself.

Al,

Do I recall correctly that before Spence's retirement he spent some time working on the smallmouth fisheries and regs? I got to know him pretty well during his years as the cold water guru.

Is Kevin Meneau officed at the research center in Columbia? Thanks for the name.

On the stripers/hybrids, it is just something that is hard to describe until you have the experience of having one instantly run 50-70 yards on the hookset. I suppose as close to the aggressive mentality of saltwater species as anything we have in freshwater. You might read my posts in the new Striper Family topics Phil and I set up.

Thanks again for your contributions to the Forum.

Bill Butts

Bill Butts

Springfield MO

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I don't have as many years angling for smallmouth, but I love it no less than anyone here. Growing up my grandfather guided the Niangua, Osage Fork, and Gasconade for smallies, and my brother and I enjoy memories of many summer floats on those rivers casting pork rind eels and crawdads behind black bucktail jigs. There were the great days when we all caught multiple limits of bass, and each and everyone were returned to the water. And we had poor days too.

I agree with the others that more should be done to protect the smallmouth from meat head fishermen. I am hoping that one day my kids will enjoy the same quality of fishing I did as a kid. With conservation efforts I believe they can. If the necessary protective actions are put in place, and the fishing improves, I doubt fishermen will be any less tight lipped about thier secret holes. There is just something wrong about telling some irresponsible, reckless, jerk about something as sacred as your secret spot. I can tell you I went out last summer, middle of July, on a pretty hot day with my Grandpa and we both did very well. But I don't think I can tell you just where it was... although I do remember seeing quite a few cotton mouths!

KR