Smallmouth and streams

• Root Admin

Just wondering...

Where is your favor creek or river to catch smallies... when and how?

I must say, I don't get out and fish the creeks as much as I'd like... and southern Missouri and northern Arkansas has the best streams in the country.

James River is my best producer for numbers of smallies but I've caught the largest bass on the King and Buffalo Rivers.

Lilleys Landing logo 150.jpg

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bryant Creek, Ozark County Missouri. Sister river to the North Fork of the White river, flows into the head waters of Norfork Lake. If you can catch it in the lake (Norfork) you can catch it in the Bryant, all bass including Whites and Stripers, crappie, walleye, catfish and of course all the Bluegill you can stand.

Brian

My fishing buddies and I wade fish a lot of rivers and streams all summer. I’d like to get into floating a canoe, but the ole back can’t handle that any more so we just wade. My favorite is the Sugar and Little Sugar respectively for smallies in that order in Jane and Powell Missouri. Both were great this spring, but the summer drought shut down any reasonable fishing latter this year. A fellow that grew up on the Sugar said it was so low this year you could walk across it without getting your feet wet. You do have to be a little careful on the lower end of Sugar Creek with some irate landowners too. However, the waters in the Powell area are no problem. In Arkansas, the Mulberry River is my favorite. Fishing for smallmouth is not the greatest, but what a beautiful waterway. They have changed the legal length on smallies, so the smallie fishing should improve too. The other problem with the Mulberry is the big slick round boulders and rapids so swift you can’t safely cross them. Felt boots and a wading stick are highly recommended. What I would love to do is learn how to successfully fish smallies with a fly rod. I’ve done good with some crawdad patterns, but mostly catch suckers. Best luck has been with natural shad 4” Razor worms. If I could only fish one river, it would definitey be Big Sugar with the Mulberry close behind.

AKA Flysmith - Cassville MO

What I would love to do is learn how to successfully fish smallies with a fly rod. I’ve done good with some crawdad patterns, but mostly catch suckers.

I throw 2/0 Saltwater poppers almost exclusively when Smallmouth fishing on the fly. When they are even slightly turned on to top-water it is some of the most fun you can have with a rod in hand.

Brian

• Members

My favorite stream to fish for smallies is the War Eagle near Huntsville. You will not catch many 20 inchers but you can catch all the 10 to 15 inch fish in the spring that you can stand. I use a crawdad pattern that resembles Fox Statlers mudbug. I also dead drift size 12 red fox nymphs along seam lines in fast current. Kings River would be a close second, if not tied for first on my smallie list. Plenty of respectable 10-15 inchers on the upper Kings where I call home, and the chance to tie into a real toad, especially if you fish the lower sections near Table Rock. It has been rumored that 100 fish days are possbile on the Trigger Gap to Hwy 62 float. The trophy waters is always a nice float, the chance to really hook a bragging size fish.

Steve

"Trout Don't Live In Ugly Places"

• Members

Love to fish for smallies in Flat Creek, starting near Cassville all the way to Stone County.....the smallie holes, however, are getting few and far between with the low water......Used to be lots of 11-15 inch fish, with the chance at the occasional 17+.......I fish it as long as the ice stays out of my guides

There are many productive waters. The Meramec & Gasconade drainages are my favs, but I'm not gonna tell you were my favorite stretches are. Smallies are slow growing (12" fish is usually 5 years old) and they arent stocked like trout. If you find a good stretch of water, especially a wadeable creek, please keep it to yourself. Smallie regs are pretty liberal (6 fish over 12" in most places) and you dont want your favorite stretch ruined by meat hogs. Cheers.

Wow so many around here. I've fished most of those listed, plus some others not mentioned, and all have been OK, although Beaver hasn't fished well for me the last couple of years.

I fish casting and spinning rods and throw jig mostly, both dressed and with plastics. Walkin' the dog is hard to beat and now through spring I'll probably stick to Jerkbaits, which were very effective in mid November.

I travel in a solo canoe or a kayak, depending on the water. I leave the craft whenever possible and fish wading.

Today's release is tomorrows gift to another fisherman.

I found a spot on Beaver Creek last spring that has worked pretty well for me. I have used crawdad patterns on the fly rod and a buddy used a 3inch black worm rigged wacky style and just tore 'em up!

Later in the summer there was hardly any water at all near Brown Branch.

I would love to get with someone this spring and fish the James with a fly rod.

You are so stupid you threw a rock at the ground and missed.

• Root Admin

Has anyone used what I call a sulpin jig on smallmouth? It's just a marabou jig using sculpin colored feathers. I've used in on Beaver and North Fork and absolutely tore them up... I've fished it vertical along steep banks and stumps and had them come out and nail it.

Lilleys Landing logo 150.jpg