Big Creek, Sam A. Baker SP

There's no forum for the Saint Francis or Big Creek so I thought I'd post this here: What is an adequate floating level for Big Creek? I want to do a short float from Highway N to the park. Today the gage is rising, 1.74 feet and 108 cfs.

Is this enough water? Also, is Highway N to the Park a good option? I have my own boat.

Thanks.....

Dunno, been thinking of floating that creek for a couple years but I've never made it. Bought all I know is that they put a new gauge in on Big Creek. It used to be over at the Bridge @ Des Arc but now its downstream at Sam Baker. There are a few shut ins on Big Creek, and its popular with some of the Whitewater folks. I know some folks who have floated it, and they say its not too bad, but there are a few nasty spots....Might ask around over on the Missouri Whitewater. Org forum before you head down there. Cheers.

Yeah, the old gage at Des Arcs needed 2.0 feet or better to make it floatable, according to the SP concessionaire (forget his name). The year I was there it was low so I waded. Hoping for a float this year. I'll check the Mo Whitewater site, hadn't been there.

Anything over about 100 cfs ain't bad for Big Creek. At that flow you'll be able to float all riffles except for possibly the shut-ins. The main shut-ins rapid is a long, wide, rock garden that takes a LOT of maneuvering at 100 cfs, but at that level it's not dangerous, just difficult.

It's a beautiful creek, normally very clear, most of it gravel bottom. Been a while since I floated it...it's about time to do it again.

Al, question on the Jack's Fork...Headed down there tomorrow morning...you think 63cfs is enough to float from Buck down to Bay (Put in mid-day Wednesday & take out Friday)? Or should go downstream, decrease the distance, or both?

Gavin, I floated the JF in March from Prongs to Bay Creek and the river was at app. 140 cfs (Mt. View gage). Just a bit of dragging between Prong's and Buck, from Buck down was fine.

I would think 63 cfs is gonna be a problem however. I believe Al in an earlier post said 100 cfs was about the line between good floating and lots of dragging. You might look in the JF forum.

You do get a little extra water from Blue Spring, so maybe putting in there would be the ticket.