Fishing Evening And Night 9/24/10 (Report (Or Lack Thereof) Now In 1St Post)

Trout Commander

Taking a friend for his first trip on the fly and my first trip in the dark. Leaving Nixa in T minus 10, will fish till midnight or so.

If you see us say hey!

-------

We ended up only being able to fish until about 10 pm and did not know what we were doing. Caught zero fish.

I have spent most of my money on fly fishing and beer. The rest I just wasted.

xfcakj.jpg

The latest Trout Commander blog post: Niangua River Six Pack

Taking a friend for his first trip on the fly and my first trip in the dark. Leaving Nixa in T minus 10, will fish till midnight or so.

If you see us say hey!

I much enjoyed talking with you last night and I delivered your message to Duffy this am. You need to give a report on how you did.

I much enjoyed talking with you last night and I delivered your message to Duffy this am. You need to give a report on how you did.

The pleasure was definitely all mine :D. I picked up a wealth of knowledge from you even in our short conversation and I only wish I would have been able to successfully use it. Honestly I felt completely lost and like I was throwing into the dark (pun intended). I was also trying to help my friend get started. He has actually taken casting lessons and impressed me with the skill he possessed, however there were the inevitable birds nests that I sorted out for him that took away from my time fishing. It also did not help that the water did not make it all the way down before we had to leave. It is hard enough for me to find fish when the water is still up during the day, let alone in the dark.

Overall the trip was still enjoyable, the moon rise(?) was absolutely beautiful over the water. With the solitude and ambiance of fishing at night I feel I would quite enjoy it if I can find even the slightest bit of success.

Sorry this short report has taken so long but I have been super blessed and busy with family work and school, but here it is copied from my edited first post:

We ended up only being able to fish until about 10 pm and did not know what we were doing. Caught zero fish.

Kind of pathetic eh? <_<

xfcakj.jpg

Oh and thanks for saying hey to Duffy, hopefully I will run into him sometime this week or weekend.

xfcakj.jpg

Overall the trip was still enjoyable, the moon rise(?) was absolutely beautiful over the water. With the solitude and ambiance of fishing at night I feel I would quite enjoy it if I can find even the slightest bit of success.

Sorry this short report has taken so long but I have been super blessed and busy with family work and school, but here it is copied from my edited first post:

Kind of pathetic eh? <_<

JDC,

Don't call it pathetic, call it a learning experience. Success is in the eye of the beholder. If you enjoyed the moon rise, the peacefullness without the bells and whistles of the day crowd, catching fish is just an added bonus. You were fishing some of the toughest and most upredictable water in the state, so don't give up on it. Things will start to click for you with each passing trip. I hope to run into again this coming weekend.

Kind of pathetic eh? <_<

The moonrise may have been beautiful but that is the main reason you probably didn't catch much. I fished Friday and Saturday night with Saturday being better than Friday night because of a little more cloud cover had at least a hit every cast when the moon was behind the clouds but most were still dinks 10" or less.

F2F

The moonrise may have been beautiful but that is the main reason you probably didn't catch much. I fished Friday and Saturday night with Saturday being better than Friday night because of a little more cloud cover had at least a hit every cast when the moon was behind the clouds but most were still dinks 10" or less.F2F

Perfect! I love that excuse. It wasn't me; it was the moon! :D

Do you mind sharing what technique you were using? I was dead drifting (I think, it was dark so I could've been cutting a jetboat sized wake for all I know!) various wooly buggers and stripping them back in slowly in ~5" strips.

xfcakj.jpg

• Members

The moon is exactly why I wasn't there last weekend. I was wishing I was there Sat night though with the clouds. I did manage to slip down last night (Tues 9/28) and was amazed that there were 7 other vehicles in the lot. I fished from 8-11 and ended up with around 15 with the largest being 16" (only 1 brown). The moon came up around 10:15.... JDC, right or wrong I have found that on those bright nights I have to use smaller stuff and I drift it and let it lay for a long long time and then 3 or 4 tiny little strips and let it lay again. I use my red light and more than not I can see the line move before I feel the bite so I just yank and usually have one. If the short strips don't do it I try a long sloooow one and then let it lay again. My best fly in the moon has been an olive hibernator that has almost all the palmered fur bitten off (or cut off). Thanks sooo much to whoever put that section of rod in the back of my red truck last night, that was my creek rod that evidently fell out..,.. I owe somebody one! The people on nights are the greatest!

The moon is exactly why I wasn't there last weekend. I was wishing I was there Sat night though with the clouds. I did manage to slip down last night (Tues 9/28) and was amazed that there were 7 other vehicles in the lot. I fished from 8-11 and ended up with around 15 with the largest being 16" (only 1 brown). The moon came up around 10:15.... JDC, right or wrong I have found that on those bright nights I have to use smaller stuff and I drift it and let it lay for a long long time and then 3 or 4 tiny little strips and let it lay again. I use my red light and more than not I can see the line move before I feel the bite so I just yank and usually have one. If the short strips don't do it I try a long sloooow one and then let it lay again. My best fly in the moon has been an olive hibernator that has almost all the palmered fur bitten off (or cut off). Thanks sooo much to whoever put that section of rod in the back of my red truck last night, that was my creek rod that evidently fell out..,.. I owe somebody one! The people on nights are the greatest!

Alright another vote for the moon! Seriously though, thanks for the insight Gary. Hopefully we will run into one another again and glad you got your rod piece back!

xfcakj.jpg

Perfect! I love that excuse. It wasn't me; it was the moon! :D

Do you mind sharing what technique you were using? I was dead drifting (I think, it was dark so I could've been cutting a jetboat sized wake for all I know!) various wooly buggers and stripping them back in slowly in ~5" strips.

I was using a white PMS (Sat) and brown hibinator(Fri) with little or no flash. I was casting across current and a couple strips to get the slack out and letting it drift. Usually go a hit as it neared the bottom or as it quartered downstream and rose slightly off the bottom most likely. I'm pretty sure most of the fish were bottom feeding so they didn't have to look up at that bright light B) . When the clouds rolled by they tended to hit more quickly and closer to the top. I experimented with a PMS with deer hair head but each time I tied one on the moon was back out.

F2F