Busch Does It Again

• Members

Once again I decided to try August A Busch Wildlife Conservation Area this past Wednesday. And once again I came away without much to show for it.

It was noon when I started out at the all popular Lake 33. After I lost 3 straight shakey-heads and 3 other drop shot rigs in the rocks, soon realized - you HAVE to have a boat to fish this lake. Period. But didn't feel like renting one without a trolling motor to fight the wind. I know, based on sampling, according to MCD that there are supposed to be 66% of bass larger than 15" and 12% larger than 18"; but I have yet to see any >10". And didn't catch a single fish this day. That lake frustrates me. (Could it be the catfishers keep all the bass they are catching with live bait? I wouldn't doubt it. I was there late spring and witnessed a group setting up a 10 man tent at the dam end of Lake 33. Didn't think camping was allowed.)

Then I decided to try a C&R lake. Lake 32 looked very fishable from shore. While I was there a found a pattern using a watermelon red plastic craw on a 1/8 oz football jig. The bass I caught were up against the windblown banks in the rocks. But there weren't many and were <12 inches. But not many bites after circling the lake so tried another lake.

I had Lake 7 all to myself. No catfisherman or anyone. It was beautiful. The same pattern worked, windblown rock banks and corners with brush held fish tight to cover. Lakes 7 is also said by MCD to be a "big bass lake" - with 25-55% of the bass population larger than 15" and 10% larger than 18 inches. BLAH, BLAH, BLAH. I'm not too sure about that. Can anyone say otherwise? I'd like to hear about it. Everything I pulled out was about 10 inches. Do I need to use shiners? I'd hate to have to do that. Now that I live out in St Charles I determined to find these "BIG BASS" at lake 7 or similar so called "big bass" lakes there.

I've been to BW many times and every time on the way home I tell myself I need to find more private lakes but every year I go back. What do any of you think? I know....."there's no fish in Busch Wildlife".....well I don't believe that but there may not be any keepers.

Once again I decided to try August A Busch Wildlife Conservation Area this past Wednesday. And once again I came away without much to show for it.

It was noon when I started out at the all popular Lake 33. After I lost 3 straight shakey-heads and 3 other drop shot rigs in the rocks, soon realized - you HAVE to have a boat to fish this lake. Period. But didn't feel like renting one without a trolling motor to fight the wind. I know, based on sampling, according to MCD that there are supposed to be 66% of bass larger than 15" and 12% larger than 18"; but I have yet to see any >10". And didn't catch a single fish this day. That lake frustrates me. (Could it be the catfishers keep all the bass they are catching with live bait? I wouldn't doubt it. I was there late spring and witnessed a group setting up a 10 man tent at the dam end of Lake 33. Didn't think camping was allowed.)

Then I decided to try a C&R lake. Lake 32 looked very fishable from shore. While I was there a found a pattern using a watermelon red plastic craw on a 1/8 oz football jig. The bass I caught were up against the windblown banks in the rocks. But there weren't many and were <12 inches. But not many bites after circling the lake so tried another lake.

I had Lake 7 all to myself. No catfisherman or anyone. It was beautiful. The same pattern worked, windblown rock banks and corners with brush held fish tight to cover. Lakes 7 is also said by MCD to be a "big bass lake" - with 25-55% of the bass population larger than 15" and 10% larger than 18 inches. BLAH, BLAH, BLAH. I'm not too sure about that. Can anyone say otherwise? I'd like to hear about it. Everything I pulled out was about 10 inches. Do I need to use shiners? I'd hate to have to do that. Now that I live out in St Charles I determined to find these "BIG BASS" at lake 7 or similar so called "big bass" lakes there.

I've been to BW many times and every time on the way home I tell myself I need to find more private lakes but every year I go back. What do any of you think? I know....."there's no fish in Busch Wildlife".....well I don't believe that but there may not be any keepers.

Wait until the colder weather and you'll have the lakes to yourself. I caught a fat 19" largie on a jerk bait down by the dam at lake 33 last year

"Honor is a man's gift to himself" Rob Roy McGregor

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

• Members

Dear tearin up topwater, I've fished Buschs for about 30 years, first off lake 33 is your best chance to land the lunker bass, however october is typically not a especially good month to do so..best lunker months are April and May prespawn and spawn, and yes you need a boat to find the deep brushpiles.. another good lake in spring is Lake 35..bring your fishfinder...for as long as I can remember lake 7 is a predominantly a catfish lake, but there are a few very large bass in there..In the next couple of weeks as the water cools try a white buzzbait early in the am,then go to small bass jigs or 6 incch worms texas rig Good luck, mofishin