Permafrost ?

Billfo

Being a Nebraska native, we get frost in the ground dow to about 42".. If you set a footing above that- the spring thaw will push it up really screwing things up like posts or decks..

IS the PERMAFROST an issue on Table Rock ? Eventually I want to build a small patio with a shade awning.

Thanks for the experienced comments.

Bill

Email me

Red-Right-Returning is for quitters !

In the St Louis area the footing depth is 30" minimum on undisturbed soil. Actually there is no Permafrost in this area. Permafrost is defined as soil at or below the freezing point of water (0 °C or 32 °F) for two or more years. What you are looking for is the frostline which is the depth to which the groundwater in soil is expected to freeze. Since Springfield is in southern Missouri the depth for footings may be shallower, your local county or city building department will be your best source of doing it correctly.

Eventually, we all discover that SOMETHINGS are over rated.. We just didnt know it when we were younger :closedeyes:

My wife is an expert on Permafrost.....but I think you are talking about a different kind of Permafrost.

Email me

Yes that is what im referencing... I understand what your saying..Even farther south ie: Table Rock, the water in the gnd probably freezes even at a less depth.. But yes, I will check it out !

Thanks..

In the St Louis area the footing depth is 30" minimum on undisturbed soil. Actually there is no Permafrost in this area. Permafrost is defined as soil at or below the freezing point of water (0 °C or 32 °F) for two or more years. What you are looking for is the frostline which is the depth to which the groundwater in soil is expected to freeze. Since Springfield is in southern Missouri the depth for footings may be shallower, your local county or city building department will be your best source of doing it correctly.

Email me