12-19-10

I took the ole' Ranger down to Lost Bridge Marina yeasterday.

My 2 brother in-laws from east Ark tagged along.

They have yet to adjust to deep water fishin in the Ozarks.

Water was 49 degrees,very low and gin clear, the wind was blowing enough to make some chop.

We stopped at the mouth of Indian creek and found nothing.

The depthfinder was blank.

We hit 6 or 8 more spots and nothing.

We started following gulls around hoping for activity, nothing again.

I was wondering if the fish were playin a mean joke. (life at Beaver lake)

We ditched the suspenging jerkbaits and started fishing jigs along mainlake points.

As we approached Point #4 you could see an entire set of woods thats been flooded under Moulder Hollow for a half century.

I was sight seeing now, checking out the scenery and bald eagles.

Thoughts of fishing had drifted out of my mind. Which is odd, since I think about fishing 24/7.

I was going thru the motions as we drifted near a nice point lined with cedars on each side.

I heard a grunt and turned around to watch my brother inlaw fighing a real nice fish.

The spinning rod was bowed over as drag clicked slightly.

I reached for the net and it was totally tangled up. It was a fight against time.

I finally got the net as the fish slapped against the hull of the boat.

My first thoughts were (spoken out loud) thats a nice spot right there.

Netted the fish, and flopped it down, it was a Walleye. A 20" walleye at that.

A trophy for a man who grew up fishing muddy shallow water.

I hastilly tied on another hair jig, as we gathered our wits from all the excitement.

A small celebration takes place after you do something for the first time, especially by accident.

post-5746-1292906266182_thumb.jpg

Yes,

I usually don't fish at beaver thanks to its stingy demeanor.

This walleye might have changed that stigma, tho.

Quillback, do you fish for walleyes at Beaver?

I sure would like to learn more about walleye fishing.

It could give me a reason to brave the cold this winter.

Nope, I am not a walleye fisherman, I catch some accidently while bass fishing. That link Wildeye provided does have some good info. I might try it myself one of these days if I can just put down the bass stuff. Mouth of War Eagle sounds like a great place to start for the walleyes.

I caught quite a few walleye this last spring. The walleye/sauger population is on the rise for sure. I caught them on anything from a 6" swimbait to a shakey head, jig, jerkbait, and I think a crankbait also. I saw a large school of them around the south side of the islands above the Hwy 12 bridge back around April. You shouldn't have a problem catching a 17-20" walleye or sauger next spring. There are plenty of them now. I was getting tired of catching them because I thought I had a 4-5lb bass everytime. :rolleyes:

Need marine repair? Send our own forum friend "fishinwrench" a message. 

He will treat you like family!!! I owe fishinwrench a lot of thanks. He has been a great mechanic with lots of patience!

I saw a large school of them around the south side of the islands above the Hwy 12 bridge back around April.

I've heard about that island producing excellent multispecies action that time of year.

I never get tired of catching fish.

No matter the species, a bite keeps me focused anytime of year escpecially when its cold out.

I've heard about that island producing excellent multispecies action that time of year.

I never get tired of catching fish.

No matter the species, a bite keeps me focused anytime of year escpecially when its cold out.

If you are looking for a waleye bite in the spring you can't beat the tailwaters up from Holiday Island IMO. Beaver is getting waleyes and I have caught a 8lb waleye in Beaver, but TR has had a steady population for a lot longer and if I was looking for a steady eye bite I would put in at Holiday Island and run towards the darn anytime of the year rather than to try to locate the few scattered fish around beaver.

I know there are a few guides trolling for eyes on beaver but I have heard of very few that can get a limit of 18in waleyes even on thier best days.