Does Anyone Want To Do A Summer Fly Swap?

• Members
I'm in- thinking either Slumpbusters or some big foam Cicada nastiness, since they're supposed to be coming out in droves this year.

Hehehe, I tied a couple Cicadas last night and I’m planning on tying another 4 or so tonight. I’m getting ready for the 13 year “Southern Brood.” They should be coming up in another week or so and there should be a mess of ‘em. A buddy of mine found a formula that, based on the average temp for April, had them emerging May 9th in the St. Louis area. However, the cold nights we’ve had may set ‘em back a few days. I think they only stay out for 4-6 weeks so they (the Great Southern Brood 13 year Cicada) may be gone by the July 1 swap deadline. You’re pattern will probably also work for the annual “Dog Day” Cicada that comes out around August every year though.

-D

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hehehe, I tied a couple Cicadas last night and I’m planning on tying another 4 or so tonight. I’m getting ready for the 13 year “Southern Brood.” They should be coming up in another week or so and there should be a mess of ‘em. A buddy of mine found a formula that, based on the average temp for April, had them emerging May 9th in the St. Louis area. However, the cold nights we’ve had may set ‘em back a few days. I think they only stay out for 4-6 weeks so they (the Great Southern Brood 13 year Cicada) may be gone by the July 1 swap deadline. You’re pattern will probably also work for the annual “Dog Day” Cicada that comes out around August every year though.

-D

I've been seeing a bunch of immature cicada nymphs in the backyard as I've been doing my spring planting, and lots of holes as I've been out turkey hunting, and I'm betting smallie fishing will be epic if the water ever comes down. I thought about the July deadline, but I've been jonesin' to tie some foam monstrosities since I likely won't make it out west this summer...and I'm not sure the fish will snub their noses if a big mock cicada plops down in front of them come mid-July :D

Thanks for adding me. Brown/Gray Soft hackles will be my contribution. Looking forward to everyone's flies! Where should I be sending these to??

Thanks,

-Cory

Address please??

"Its clearly Bree time baby!"

Member: 2009 U.S. Youth Fly-Fishing Team. Competed Czech Republic. 7th Place Team

Member: 2010 U.S. Youth Fly-Fishing Team. Competed Slovakia. 4th Place Team

Member: 2010 U.S. Youth Fly-Fishing Team. Competed The America Cup. 4th Place Team

Forgot, I committed to this....but Its a good excuse to wind a few..If its full up...I'll swap my spot with someone else who wants some swap flies, or tie a couple more. No big deal. The more the merrier.

Sorry about not posting in a while, I had an intensive trial advocacy class that went from 8-6 everyday for the last week. Gavin, are you swapping your spot? Just want to make sure. Zach, PM sent.

“The greatest menace to freedom is an inert people” J. Brandeis

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to have to drop out of this swap.

After moving, everything is a mess and I can't find my materials for the fly I was tying.

Catch me in the next swap.

There's a fine line between fishing and sitting there looking stupid.