Stripers

mchunter

• Members

Unless the weather turns windy or stormy, I am planning on going to beaver this Thursday morning early thru Saturday. According to Beaver Fever Guides photos they have been slaying them lately! Don't know where they put out at or generally fish, but I am hoping to put out at the small ramp near point 6 and go down the lake from there. Does anyone know if this ramp is open or is it under water?

Bailey's report says big clifty, lost bridge and point 3 areas are good right now. Never fished these areas. Should you fish the channel or the coves right now? As I have posted before, I am still trying to catch my first Striper so I am learning.

Also, does anyone know a good place in these areas to net some bait? Thanks.

MCHUNTER

I was up in the dam area a couple of weeks ago black bass fishing. I did not see any shad, so I can't give you any help there. There were several striper boats fishing off the north shore of the island where point 1 is and going northeast along the steep bank along the adjacent shore north of Big Hollow. The mouth of Honey creek cove usually holds stripers this time of year also, it's certainly worth a look.

• Members

Thanks Quillback, I sure appreciate the help! I'm not a lazy fisherman, but coming over from Oklahoma, any help is greatly appreciated to keep me from spending all of my trip searching for stripers. Now I know some areas to start at. Thanks again.

By the way, the ramp I am talking about is the one just southwest of point 6. It keeps you from having to pay at Rocky Branch and of course saves a little time. Does anyone know if this ramp is usable right now? Thanks.

MCHUNTER

You are welcome and I hope you get into the stripers! Sorry I don't have any info on that ramp you are talking about. I believe all the corps ramps are open, but the docks may not be accesible on some. And they will charge you $4 to launch if you don't have a permit.

Unless the weather turns windy or stormy, I am planning on going to beaver this Thursday morning early thru Saturday. According to Beaver Fever Guides photos they have been slaying them lately! Don't know where they put out at or generally fish, but I am hoping to put out at the small ramp near point 6 and go down the lake from there. Does anyone know if this ramp is open or is it under water?

Bailey's report says big clifty, lost bridge and point 3 areas are good right now. Never fished these areas. Should you fish the channel or the coves right now? As I have posted before, I am still trying to catch my first Striper so I am learning.

Also, does anyone know a good place in these areas to net some bait? Thanks.

This time of year you are likely going to do best from pt 5 up to the dam. From about 4am until 9am, then again in the late evening, or even at night. With as clear as the lake is, the shad are tough or impossible to net in Beaver, unless you find them at night. Sometimes you can find them in the river areas around hickory creek. Coming from OK, you are better off bringing them over if you have a way to keep them alive. We will be down this weekend trying it out as well. Good luck to you!

SK

• Members

Thanks for the info Samkam1. By the way, I've been watching some of your Striper videos on YouTube. Great videos! Good luck to you too, It looks like you know how to catch them!

I have decided now that I may put in at Lost Bridge South. I will probably just have to resort to brood minnows. Is there a place near Lost Bridge South to get these or will I have to

make trips back to Hook, Line & Sinker?

Another question: Do stripers hit perch or golden shiners very well? Thanks.

MCHUNTER

Thanks for the info Samkam1. By the way, I've been watching some of your Striper videos on YouTube. Great videos! Good luck to you too, It looks like you know how to catch them!

I have decided now that I may put in at Lost Bridge South. I will probably just have to resort to brood minnows. Is there a place near Lost Bridge South to get these or will I have to

make trips back to Hook, Line & Sinker?

Another question: Do stripers hit perch or golden shiners very well? Thanks.

thanks! the vids are fun to put together! we are still learning, takes time and patience for sure.

We often use golden shiners and brooders and they work well...the bigger the better. Shad are preferable tho most of the time if you can get them. Barnett's pawn shop in Garfield has brooders sometimes, often they are too small though. Perch work well when the stripers are shallow on the banks, not so much as they move deeper.

• Members

If you have time you can put in a houseman's excess and run down the river and find shad fairly easy, if they are generating it is real easy to find shad.

Hey Stump Bumper,

Where is houseman's? My old man and I are considering making the trip down from Springfield again this weekend, but we'd really like to find some shad. Do you (or anyone!) have any other shad-wisdom you'd like to share with us? We'd really appreciate it.

We called the only bait shop we could find near Lost Bridge and they want $9 a dozen for broods, or something outrageous like that, so we're trying to avoid that route.

Any help you guys can give would be awesome!

Eric