Elk Report

ollie

Left the house around 6 in the morning and got in the water by 7:30. It was hot and muggy already so we got wet right away! I started out fishing with a watermelon seed lizard and just plain tore them up! My neighbor was using a double tailed fat albert in pumkin and he was tearing them up too. Altough he was catching mainly largemouth and I was mainly catching smallies. Not sure why because we were fishing basically in the same spots. By noon we were beat and hot so we called it quits and headed back home. All in all we caught at least 50-60 between us and most were in the 10-14" range. I don't think we caught any bigger, but I did manage the trifecta of bass by catching a largie, smallie, and a white. I think the white was maybe the biggest of them all. Great day on the water and we had cloud cover most of the morning!

"you can always beat the keeper, but you can never beat the post"

There are only three things in life that are certain : death, taxes, and the wind blowing at Capps Creek!

I was just using a 1/8 oz. jighead. They are soft though and I went through a lot of them.

There are only three things in life that are certain : death, taxes, and the wind blowing at Capps Creek!

I was down that way on Sunday. Had never been there, so I figured I would take a drive in the heat of the day between a.m. at Roaring River, and p.m. there. I liked the town of Noel. It was quaint and the bluffs are awesome. I trucked up 90 a bit, and then turned around and headed up 59 to Lanagan (not impressed). I may look into that Murray Motel in Noel since I'm not much of a camper.

If I go, I'll probably rent a canoe or kayak from an outfitter fish the Elk. Other than Hog Heaven (who I know is on the boards here), any recommendations on outfitters, routes, etc.?

From what I see, plastics are the way to go. Any experience with inline spinners, or even flies?

I'll probably go mid week towards the end of July in the hopes it will be less crowded.

What's your take on all this, ollie?

"Thanks to Mother Mercy, Thanks to Brother Wine, Another night is over and we're walking down the line" - David Mallett

I was down that way on Sunday. Had never been there, so I figured I would take a drive in the heat of the day between a.m. at Roaring River, and p.m. there. I liked the town of Noel. It was quaint and the bluffs are awesome. I trucked up 90 a bit, and then turned around and headed up 59 to Lanagan (not impressed). I may look into that Murray Motel in Noel since I'm not much of a camper.

If I go, I'll probably rent a canoe or kayak from an outfitter fish the Elk. Other than Hog Heaven (who I know is on the boards here), any recommendations on outfitters, routes, etc.?

From what I see, plastics are the way to go. Any experience with inline spinners, or even flies?

I'll probably go mid week towards the end of July in the hopes it will be less crowded.

What's your take on all this, ollie?

I'm not Ollie, but I'll give you my two cents. If you're a fisherman first, float with Hog Heaven. They'll put you on the fish. On the Elk and Big Sugar I've had the best luck with bitsy tubes--green with red flakes.

For one, I'm not sure I would stay at the Murray, but that is your choice. Second, why not use Russ? He is on the water most everyday and he can do a shuttle just about anywhere you want and he knows the river. I don't fly fish so not much of a help on that one. Inline spinners may catch you a few, but plastics are the way to go or even a double bladed spinner can catch fish most of the time. Don't be afraid to upsize you lure selection as well. Definetly do a mid week trip if you want to avoid the canoe hatch!

I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with using Russ and probably would given his reputation on the boards here. I just wanted to know of one or two reputable back-ups in case he was slammed, or whatnot.

Also, Ollie, any reason not to hit the Murray, or just a preference on your part towards camping?

"Thanks to Mother Mercy, Thanks to Brother Wine, Another night is over and we're walking down the line" - David Mallett

The guys over at Two Sons will do you right also I'm sure, but I just know Russ and he has always treated me right. As far as the Motel, Both!

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoyed another great day on the lower Elk!!! Got down on the water by 6:30 and saw 2 guys taking out from a night of gigging. Didn't expect to see anyone, but saw another party of 6 Koreans or of similiar origins fishing already from the bank. Anyways I started out throwing a top water spook, but couldn't get any other bites than bluegill from it so I switched over to a fluke. That's when the action heated up! Fished a log jam where a nice 18" largemouth came out of nowhere and slammed it!! Then caught several more smallies. Had one that broke off my 8 pound line. Couldn't tell whether it was a bass or cattie, but it had to be good size since it just snaped my line. Then headed downstream back towards the truck and caught another pig of a bass that was 17". It was a football! I never switched lures after the first one and caught several after that on the fluke. I ended up getting off the water by around 10:30 because it was getting sooooooo hot. I didn't really enjoy getting up that early, but if you want any decent size fish then you will have to be up early or stay up late to catch them this time of the year.