Yesterday On The Lake

First trip out of Lilleys' yesterday with 3 gents to catch and eat a limit of tasty taneycomo Rainbows. Extreme Sucess. Crawlers from Fall Creek to Lilleys' Caught 42 fish with a 22 inch 6 pound bow. Big fish released immediatly and a certificate and pen headed back to Ohio with the Boys. Best bite was from 7 AM till the sun started beating us up. About 10.

Afternoon Group trip from Chateau and the fish in the restricted zone were simply on fire. 24 fish for folks that had never fished with the best one at a Screemin Fat 19 inches. Could not get my hands around this fish to hold it.

Have not been taking picks as these fish are wild and you just cannot hold them without dropping them in the boat. Trying not to handle the Restricted area fish very much and keep them in the water during the release. At 100 degrees, their skin starts to dry almost immediatly and it is ashame to injury the fish, for a photo. When it cools off some we will try and take a few pics.

Water is still off color and the fish in the Restricted Zone are still coughing up shad.

• Root Admin

I've been out the last 2 evenings. It's been a little slow for me. Tossing 3/32nd oz jigs- dark ones (Olive, Sculpin) on bluff bank from Lookout to Short Creek and white jigs from the dam to MDC boat ramp. Catching fish but not big numbers- not like I thought it should be. Know there's good numbers there but they're resting I guess.

Boated up to Lookout yesterday am and fished the riffle water on the upper outside of the island. Got out and waded. They took a #14 peppy scud or a fl red san juan pretty good- all good rainbows too. The area is loaded with trout. Would like to explore this area further. Later in the morning, the drift boats make their stop here and I don't want to take one of their best spots so get in early and get out so that they can fish it.

I also think the flats on the shallow side of the lake from Lookout down should be good nymphing but I haven't tried. Should be able to get out and wade there too. We're wet wading. Water temp is 55-57 so not that cold.

Lilleys Landing logo 150.jpg

Are you guys able to boat through the restricted area with a bass boat now with the low water? I'm really talking up to the narrows, as I know it can get a little tricky through there and past Trophy Run (Even before the bottom changes)

Just bought a new boat and of course want to bring it down but a prop repair/replace really isn't on my to do list quite yet since it has yet to hit the water!

Thanks

• Members

Bill - thanks for the report. We are on vacation staying at the Stillwater resort. I am thinking about pulling the boat out and driving down to Taney tomorrow morning to see how we can do. Is the fog really bad at 7am?

Thanks,

Jeff

• Root Admin

Fog hasn't been that bad. Water temp is higher and fog is less.

I'll let Bill answer the boating question.... since he has a $70k boat.

As Phil mentioned those evening trips are for me producing fish. Probably not the numbers he like, but the quality is fantastic. In a 4 hr. trip my 3 clients caught only 24 fish.BUT nothing much under 15 inches and most Butter Fat 15 to 19 inches. I way perfer a smaller number with quality like this. Did not injure a single fish and had nothing swallow the bait. On the lower end around Banson it is still full of powerbait fish.

As far as the boating question. Watch the level. Anything under 704 you had better watch out, unless you have the bottom pegged down. One of the worst stretches is in front of Short Creek and the next is the bar above the ramp at Fall Creek. On up the riffle just before Clay Banks is very tight and then the riffle above Clay Banks is tight. The Reef above the Big Hole is shallower and the channel is on the rebar side as it has been. You can run the channel behind the island, if rebar is crowded with boats. There is a huge tree just below rebar, but it has been there.

Good Luck

• Root Admin

I look at that tree in the water below rebar. If it's more than a couple of feet OUT of the water, I will NOT go past it.

Thanks guys. Yeah I am graduating from a small v bottom w/ 20hp to something that needs a bit more clearance. I really like fishing the upper lake but clearly don't want to cost myself the lower unit to do so. Thanks for the info.

Good point on that tree, and very good advice. Guys don't be mislead on where to run just because you saw someone blow thru there. Might be a guide or it might be a jet. I went thru some 2' water today on plane. Would not recommend that manuver to anyone. I just know my equipment and the configuration of the bottom in those areas. Had another great morning with about 30 fish. Very quality size. Green 3/32nd. or 1/8th. jig and then on 4 generators a size 10 white wooley bugger.

or it might be a jet.
HeHeHe, love to trap 'em. Just kidding

You guys are killing me. the hip isn't strong enough yet after the replacement surgery to climb up into the boat, or safely walk around on the front deck. Can't wait to get it well enough for a trip to Taney. Don't catch them all before I get there. Or at least release enough for me to give them a lesson or two!

Real men go propless!