Pop It Like It's Hot!

Arofishing

Went to my favorite pool downstream of 125 bridge last night from 5-9 and had a blast, best fishing of the summer I'd reckon. I only used my betts frugal frog popper on my 6 wt fly rod. Weather was cool, low 80s, and the water was up about a foot from where it had been in July. It was actually a bit chilly once the sun went down, but I cared not. On the trek down I managed to catch a couple panfish. Canoers/kayakers beware, yet another tree has fallen down this stretch of the river making it impossible for you to get through without lifting you raft over. Not a big problem for the wader like me, however, just had to get my nimble tush over without falling on the slippery rock.

Almost to the pool, I got excited when I caught a 5 inch smallie, despite the size, as it was my first in nearly three weeks. Approaching the pool where I knew the bigger boys were hiding, I started off with an 11 inch smallie. Two casts later I had another the same size, but lost it in mid air after fighting it for over a minute. Not a big deal, though, what a great way to lose a fish. In the span of 30 minutes I caught 5 more small mouth, all in the 10-13 inch range. One really dark spotted, brooding little fella, who I had a heck of time getting my hook out of (forgot my pliers, and I was letting them take the hook a bit too much). Lots of jumps and just an awesome, awesome time for those 30 minutes, I screamed like a little girl on more than one occasion when the fish took flight ;). Finished the night off with a big fat goggle eye, pretty sure it's the same one I caught in mid-July, he wasn't easy to forget ;).

The walk back up stream was actually a bit taxing with that extra foot of water, but again, I cared not. I need to look into getting a really cheap camera or a waterproof case so I can get some pictures for you guys. All we have is a nicer Nikon D40 and a flip camera. I'm not about to take the Nikon in the water, but I might be willing to use the flip if I can find a waterproof case.

Went to my favorite pool downstream of 125 bridge last night from 5-9 and had a blast, best fishing of the summer I'd reckon. I only used my betts frugal frog popper on my 6 wt fly rod. Weather was cool, low 80s, and the water was up about a foot from where it had been in July. It was actually a bit chilly once the sun went down, but I cared not. On the trek down I managed to catch a couple panfish. Canoers/kayakers beware, yet another tree has fallen down this stretch of the river making it impossible for you to get through without lifting you raft over. Not a big problem for the wader like me, however, just had to get my nimble tush over without falling on the slippery rock.

Almost to the pool, I got excited when I caught a 5 inch smallie, despite the size, as it was my first in nearly three weeks. Approaching the pool where I knew the bigger boys were hiding, I started off with an 11 inch smallie. Two casts later I had another the same size, but lost it in mid air after fighting it for over a minute. Not a big deal, though, what a great way to lose a fish. In the span of 30 minutes I caught 5 more small mouth, all in the 10-13 inch range. One really dark spotted, brooding little fella, who I had a heck of time getting my hook out of (forgot my pliers, and I was letting them take the hook a bit too much). Lots of jumps and just an awesome, awesome time for those 30 minutes, I screamed like a little girl on more than one occasion when the fish took flight ;). Finished the night off with a big fat goggle eye, pretty sure it's the same one I caught in mid-July, he wasn't easy to forget ;).

The walk back up stream was actually a bit taxing with that extra foot of water, but again, I cared not. I need to look into getting a really cheap camera or a waterproof case so I can get some pictures for you guys. All we have is a nicer Nikon D40 and a flip camera. I'm not about to take the Nikon in the water, but I might be willing to use the flip if I can find a waterproof case.

Cool report.

Get yourself a 3 or 4 weight rod and a heavy duty Ziploc bag for the flip camera and you will be golden.

I have spent most of my money on fly fishing and beer. The rest I just wasted.

xfcakj.jpg

The latest Trout Commander blog post: Niangua River Six Pack

Loved the report. It really got me day-dreaming. Never been to that location on the James. Trying to place the 125 bridge. Can you just park on one side of it or the other and walk down?

"Thanks to Mother Mercy, Thanks to Brother Wine, Another night is over and we're walking down the line" - David Mallett

I caught one of my best Ozark Smallmouths upstream from that bridge a long time ago - on my own deer-hair popper on my favorite 6-weight. Thanks for the memories. :goodjob:

Oh, yeah - like people have asked - how's the parking at the new bridge?

Loved the report. It really got me day-dreaming. Never been to that location on the James. Trying to place the 125 bridge. Can you just park on one side of it or the other and walk down?

Heading back there tomorrow night with my fishing buddy, I think. He needs to get his butt in gear and go get some more flies, keeps coming up with excuses not to make a BPS run. Well, guess what? The Pats are on tomorrow night so he better get it figured out soon or I'd be more than happy to sit at home!

The 125 bridge is east of town, north east of the sunshine road/james river access.

Parking: unfortunately you can't park anywhere completely safely (legally) except under the bridge. I don't know if anyone actually drives down there, but I suppose if I had a big pickup I MIGHT give it a try - it's really steep, but there is a clearly delineated path. Lots of No Parking and No Trespassing signs, one drive doesn't have any, so I chance it there sometimes. Otherwise I chance it at the intersection north of there.

Funny thing is I road my bike to that intersection for years, never knowing the James was right there. I wasn't fishing then so I had no idea what I was missing out on. Made it easy to get down there since I already knew most of the roads once we did start fishing though!

And I've got a dry bag for the camera and anything else I take. I'm more worried about transport to and from the bag, that and not carrying a bunch of stuff I don't need.

All we have is a nicer Nikon D40 and a flip camera. I'm not about to take the Nikon in the water.

Oh come on. I'm calling BS until I see some pics. :grin:

Actually I carried a D40 for a couple of years and never had a problem. Now I carry a D90 and just hope for the best. You can get waterproof bags for both. I have a bag for the D90 that allows you to take pics underwater, but I've really only used it in the pool.

DSC0051-1-L.jpg

When I wade I carry it in a dry bag and when I float it spends a lot of time just laying on the cooler with a towel thrown over it. One of these days my luck is going to run out.

Head upstream from the bridge sometime. There are some really nice pools around the first bend.

Great report, loved the title... I can forsee a Snoop Dogg remix of that one!!

When a fishie get an attitude

Pop it like it's HOT!!

Pop it like it's HOT!!

When an agent tries to get at you

Pop it like it's HOT!!

Pop it like it's HOT!!

When your fishing for dem bassies, dude!

Pop it like it's HOT!!

Pop it like it's HOT!!

I got my fly box on my arm as I'm fishin' on the farm and I roll the best cast cuz I got it goin' on!

Pop it like it's HOT!!

Pop it like it's HOT!!

cricket.c21.com

Pop it like it's HOT!!

Pop it like it's HOT!!

Pop it like it's HOT!!

Pop it like it's HOT!!

Pop it like it's HOT!!

Pop it like it's HOT!!

I got my fly box on my arm as I'm fishin' on the farm and I roll the best cast cuz I got it goin' on!

Pop it like it's HOT!!

Pop it like it's HOT!!

That's what I was going for, but now that I see it exposed, naked in front of me, oh my ;).

I made it back to that spot last night with my friend and didn't have nearly as much luck. I caught 3 smallies on the night, none of them over 9 inches, and some panfish. I finally lost my popper inside a panfish, I felt bad for the fish, practically killed it trying to get the popper out and ended up losing my grip on the fish anyway after I had cut my line.

My friend was using my betts black/red slider (looks a lot like a sneaky pete) and didn't have any luck with the bass. I don't think it has caught a bass yet.

I did take my old cell phone to use the camera on it, even if I had managed to catch a decent fish, the picture wouldn't have been decent, so no big loss there. I really like fishing without any (unnecessary ;) ) appendages. So if I can go without my dry bag or backpack, then I will. And if we are just fishing for a half day, I can manage without sustenance just fine, which is the other main reason I haven't been worrying about cameras. If I were fishing from a kayak I'd have no problem packing the camera and plenty of borderline superfluous things.

I've gone up stream from the bridge once two weeks ago when it was 100+ and had absolutely no luck. I know 99% had to do with the weather, so I'll make it upstream again someday.

It's getting a bit chilly wading waist deep in 80 degree weather at night!

Pop it like it's HOT!!

Pop it like it's HOT!!

Pop it like it's HOT!!

Pop it like it's HOT!!

Pop it like it's HOT!!

Pop it like it's HOT!!

Pop it like it's HOT!!

Pop it like it's HOT!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have spent most of my money on fly fishing and beer. The rest I just wasted.

xfcakj.jpg

The latest Trout Commander blog post: Niangua River Six Pack

That's what I was going for, but now that I see it exposed, naked in front of me, oh my!

Yeah, I just figured that, since I am most likely the only forum member that would get the reference, I had an obligation to comment on it... Or lay down a rap to it, anywayz...

Holla!!! :woot:

cricket.c21.com