James At Division Report

Arofishing

Rode my bike out to James and Division to do some fly fishing. Now that I have a 4 piece rod "travel rod" this was actually a possibility. Most the pertinent information is in the video below, so I won't pontificate too much here. I only used the fly I made (if you're curious how bad it looked before it started looking as atrocious as it does in the video, go here.) I was using my TFO Pro 8'6" 5 wt and Osprey reel for the first time, equipped with Cortland 444. Wow, was it light and thin compared to my Dogwood Canyon! I easily got another 10-15 feet on my casts today, will be interesting to see in a more controlled environment and with a little practice exactly how much distance I've gained. Caught three or so panfish and two bass from about 3:30 to 6:30, with lots of strikes and no hooks in between. Once I got home I measured some of the "landmarks," as I called them in the video, on my rod. I couldn't think of a better name at the time ;). Anyway, to the end of my cork handle is 10.5", so that first large mouth wasn't much over 7". That gold band beyond the handle is at 13.5", so the second was just over that.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank the guy who stopped at the bridge while I was 50 yards down stream and dumped over the remains of his cleaned fish. Lovely smell, really contributed to the ambiance and my quickened pace down stream.

And those hills I referred to in the video were no joke, I got up to 42.2 mph on the way home going down one! That's the first time I've gone over 40.

Well, I can't seem to get the video to embed, so here is a link instead:

That was great. Nicely done. Nice fish too.

But if I had to ride my bike 12.5 miles to the river there had better be a ER right freaking there.

Thanks, my camera work is going to improve. Both times I caught a fish I had to throw my bag off, unravel my wet bag, and fish out my camera. After that I still wasn't really focusing on the fish through the camera, I kept wanting to see it for myself! So next time will be better.

The second fish I actually left my camera and all my other stuff about 20 yards up stream. I kept thinking to go grab them, but I got sucked into fishing that spot first. That is why I'm kind of out of breath during that second fish, I had sprint up the creek with bass in hand to go grab flip, then ran back down so I could release it in its rightful pool where I left my rod.

I made a bigger deal about the distance in the video than I meant to ;). My legs are pretty sore today, but it's not nearly as taxing as running 12.5 miles, which is what we used to do every Sunday during Cross Country season in college.

Cool vid, man. What camera did you shoot that with and how was it attached?

It's a flip camera, they're quite cheap online now that they've been discontinued. It wasn't attached to anything, though I am going to make a lanyard for it in the future so I don't have to shuffle through my bag to find it.

I made a bigger deal about the distance in the video than I meant to ;). My legs are pretty sore today, but it's not nearly as taxing as running 12.5 miles, which is what we used to do every Sunday during Cross Country season in college.

Well to me that's a good distance. I'm not sure I can go around the block without needing to stop and use a defibrillator at least a couple of times. :lol:

The flips are neat little cameras, can't believe that they are quitting. Phil has one and it seems to work well for him. They do/did make a waterproof case for them. Might be able to pick one up cheap on ebay.

Well to me that's a good distance. I'm not sure I can go around the block without needing to stop and use a defibrillator at least a couple of times. :lol:

The flips are neat little cameras, can't believe that they are quitting. Phil has one and it seems to work well for him. They do/did make a waterproof case for them. Might be able to pick one up cheap on ebay.

It is a good distance, but when your peers are riding on average 40 miles a day - or running 10 - 25 round trip with a fishing break in between seems almost lazy :).

I'm a bit surprised the Flips are being discontinued, but one can see the reasons why. Except for those niche markets like video blogging or whisky reviewing, they don't do anything especially well. And what they do fairly well (closer shots) many phones can do just as well, they just lack the memory capacity, and nicer video cameras can do much better. I think for the past year they should have been priced about where they are now so they weren't competing with higher end phones and cameras. I think there is a space for a cheap video camera you aren't afraid of dropping in the river, I'm living proof of it! But I can honestly say its the first piece of technology on its "way out" that I've been happy to own (we got ours in June).

Cool video. Did you ride directly out Division to 125 then go south? Or did you take the backroads?

Just rode out east on Division and never deviated from Division, it eventually crosses the James. Parking opportunities with a car there aren't plentiful, but I saw at least one spot you could pull over on the side and probably be O.K.. I've fished the 125 access probably every week for the past month, so I was ready for a change.

I know of plenty bike and running routes on those back roads, we used to run them in college. It's very pretty down there, especially down Catalpa where all the richos live with their gated compounds and private ponds. Looks to me like they only stock colored carp though, what a curious decision...

Ah I see, I thought the bridge in the video was the 125 access. You we're out at the 134 bridge.

I was just going to say, if you were going to the 125 access, FR 205 south to FR 138 (Cherry St.)Will get you to the river with less traffic worries.

I had some friends that grew up in that area, I used to wade fish those spots all the time.

**I floated from the old railroad bridge just off Sunshine down to Pecker's Beach (Chrighton) 3 weeks ago and caught around 40 bass on green bitsy tube (pinch the barb).